Lounger
    Thanks

MS OneNote 2010: Previously ok now hogs CPU 20 to 25 percent

I upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 Pro (v14.0.7015) almost 2 years ago when I upgraded my Win7 Pro sp1 machine (Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40ghz/8.0 GB ram/ 64bit OS now with SSD 256GB ) and everything has worked exceptionally well until just in the past couple of weeks OneNote.exe *32 is hogging CPU. Oddly when its first started it doesn't grab alot of memory until a couple of minutes after its started and ranges and then ranges from 20-25%.

My web search shows this note to be similar problem from October-2010 (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...f-4537dbfb4a7f ) but no answer to the problem found.

I did find this blog with an idea on renaming the OneNoteOfflineCache.onecache to OLDcashe or whatever (http://www.onenote-tips.com/troubleshooting.html ) but after restarting OneNote its the same problem >> initially Taskmaster shows "normal" cpu 7-85 pid 00 CPU but after a couple of minutes it jumps back up to 21-25. Also when when I go to OneNote /File/Options the CPU falls back to 00 and PID 3200 so that leads me to believe its having to work too hard to access one or more of my pages/sections etc.

I do have all MS office updates except for the Feb-15 ones that Susan said to hold off on for now, and am guessing since I cannot find another post online with a recently similar problem my issue is tied to my OneNote files becoming to big (I use it daily for a daily biz/trade log) or I have too many Snagit pics copied to my log? If that is the likely problem -- how do determine what pages I have added in the past couple of weeks that might be causing the problem.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated ... TGH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you have been adding many pics recently I suspect that may be the culprit. Can you save the pics elsewhere and then delete them to see if it affects the CPU usage? NOTE: make sure you have a good backup of the notebooks before starting any big changes.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2015-02-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=JoeP517;987554]If you have been adding many pics recently I suspect that may be the culprit. Can you save the pics elsewhere and then delete them to see if it affects the CPU usage? NOTE: make sure you have a good backup of the notebooks before starting any big changes.
    /QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply, Joe -- and for confirming that is is my own onenote files vs a onenote-2010 issue, right?

Assuming that to be the case, it is not a matter of a lot of recent pics being added, as it would seem since I add at least a couple of pages each day with 2-3 small pics that might be pushing me over the 'tipping point' so to speak. I have seen reference like this one regarding archiving onenote pages /sections --- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...4-f6c2fa0a20eb

.. but still not sure if that will solve this problem -- also still need to find a "how to" article on archiving to save onenote file size/memory issues -- thoughts?

Also just now I ran across the OneTastic addin that looks useful -- http://omeratay.com/onetastic/ -- are you or is anyone a user and know if this adds to memory issues or other problems?

Thanks again ... TGH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have OneTastic installed and I have had no issues with it.

I have a few big notebooks and never had the CPU issue. By big, I mean over 1 GB. Not sure if this is a size related issue or just a picture related issue, and not sure what is the size of your problematic notebook.

I would probably suggest splitting your notebook in half, simply by creating a new one and moving older newer pages to it and then check whether the problem goes away. Moving pages either way seems easy enough - select everything you want to move, right click, Move and you're done.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2015-02-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the confirmation, Rui ... I'll get back to you all if I need any other help but for now I obviously just have to dig into the help sections for OneNote to figure out how to do what you guys suggest. TGH