Thanks

Windows 10 Build 9926 (Win 8.1 Full Sytem Upgrade Installation)

After making a full system backup image and saving to a removable drive, I did an in-place upgrade installation of my Win 8.1 (64-bit) system to "see how it would work".

The following was noted:

1. The upgrade installation of my Win 8.1 system to a Windows 10 system has "converted" my desktop into a "new machine" (much of my installed software "recognises" the machine as new; not the same one it was installed on)

2. Being regarded as a "new" machine, the following software requires to be "first time" registered and/or a new product key obtained:

a. Microsoft Office Professional requires a new product key

b. All of my "Nuance" products require to be re-registered (eg, Dragon Naturally Speaking 2013 and OmniPage V18.0, and Nero 14 Platinum). (Re-registration of nuance products without a proper prior un-install of each product renders one liable to have to pay for re-registration)

4. The following programs are regarded as "incompatible" with Windows 10 and also do not work in any of the "redundant versions" from within Windows 10:
    PaperPort 14, and Microsoft Money; as well as Norton Internet Security 2014; and Webroot Secure.

5. The Apps that were installed on my Win 8.1 system had all been deleted, including 2 that I had purchased.

6. the iCloud Add-in for Outlook 2013 will not install.

Whilst I recognise that Windows 10 is still a Technical Preview, I seriously doubt that future builds will solve these issues.

So, it seems we need to be very cautious when Windows 10 is launched (free, via Windows Update to existing Win 7 and 8 users). Simply accepting the update and installing it could have unexpected and unpleasant consequences. (This "free" update could end up costing some users quite a great deal!)

I also wonder what will happen in the future, once Windows 10 has been launched. Will some Windows 10 OS upgrades (which will be rolled out via Windows Update) suddenly render some installed software no-longer usable?

I was enjoying testing Windows 10 Build 9926 as a pure OS in a virtual machine; but the implications for me when it is rolled out are not too exciting(!)

Any thoughts?

(My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    One immediate workaround for installed programs seeing a "new" machine (and this would require that one has retained the installation media) would be to use something like Revo Uninstaller to uninstall everything down to a bare Windows 8.1, before upgrading to Windows 10. After the upgrade, install the programs that were uninstalled, and the original product keys would be sufficient.

However, I suspect that this is a side-issue of the beta, and would not likely be carried forward into the RTM Windows 10.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @bbearren: Yes, that is a possible solution, (but possibly not for Nuance products) however, it involves a great deal of work/time (for some!!)

The "problem" in the case of Microsoft Products is most likely merely academic; I don't think a call (if in fact it were to be required) to explain to Microsoft that one had upgraded to Windows 10 would meet with any objection!!

I sincerely hope your final paragraph is correct.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Which is the very reason I installed Win10TP on a computer that is non-essential to my needs, heeding the warnings not to install on the only machine or on a production computer. The Nuance process also has to be done with Adobe Acrobat [not the free Reader], deactivate or uninstall while on the 'net before reinstalling or installing on a different computer, the process alerts Adobe to the action and no problems.

Thanks
    5. The Apps that were installed on my Win 8.1 system had all been deleted, including 2 that I had purchased.
    Go to the Windows Store (not the new Beta Store)
    Click on Account
    Click on My Apps
    You will get a list of all your apps including Purchased ones. You can reinstall them from here.

I haven't figured out how to get to My Apps in the new Beta Store.
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-02-17 at 10:59.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Strange, I used the upgrade route from 8.1 and all my programs, including MS Office worked perfectly with no registration issues.

Thanks
    Modern Apps and Desktop Apps are two different creatures. Modern Apps are controlled by your Microsoft Account and purchased Apps are accessible across multiple devices.
    The Apps i purchased via my Windows 8.1 laptop are listed under My Apps on my Windows 10 esktop.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Others who did in-place upgrades have not reported such screnarios. Considering the improvements in this process over the 7 to 8 days and this didn't happen then. Acc'ts & ownership of softwares should be tied to the person, the User's License not, the hardware. Plus, the hardware didn't change, anyway, either.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Others who did in-place upgrades have not reported such screnarios. Considering the improvements in this process over the 7 to 8 days and this didn't happen then. Acc'ts & ownership of softwares should be tied to the person, the User's License not, the hardware. Plus, the hardware didn't change, anyway, either.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg
    Modern apps are tied to a Microsoft Account, not hardware. See:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-multiple-pcs

Jerry