Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Labels fouling playback?

Have used paper labels for identifying CDs and DVDs. Now I find a music CD/DVD will play part way through and then fail with skipping, garbling, etc. It appears that the label has caused a slight bow to the disk. Any thoughts on how to correct this - even temporarily so I can rerecord to a new disk?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely it's the adhesive on the labels that make them more permanent over time, tends to shrink a bit. Only way I know is to use something like Ronsonol Lighter fluid [very carefully] or GooGone to soften the lagels and peel off then clean the residue with the same solution. I use only Sharpies for marking discs.

Thanks
    Yup, adhesive labels are a problem from the past. Berton's advice may work but I have my doubts. I quit using them years ago and went to lightscribe and sharpies some times. Good luck.

Thanks
    Funny I used to get worried about whether a marker would degrade the CD, well stick-on labels DO cause ill effects over time. I have never had a problem w/ Sharpies.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Funny I used to get worried about whether a marker would degrade the CD, well stick-on labels DO cause ill effects over time. I have never had a problem w/ Sharpies.
    I think the mis-information about sharpies was put out by the label company's.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton,

Thanks for the idea. Goo Gone works great. Let it soak overnight and the label slid right off. Had to clean the working side of the disk with 409 and the cd played all the way through. Now to repeat with several dozen CDs and DVDs! Needless to say, I have gotten rid of all blank labels!

Art

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    I have gotten rid of all blank labels!
    Pack rat that I am I still have a folder of them Maybe they could be used as targets at a shooting range. I am remembering spending 5 bucks on a special marker gauraanteeed not to hurt CDs, well to the best of my knowledge it never did!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.