Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mspeng.exe

New Lounger
    Thanks

mspeng.exe

Anyone know how I can stop this thing from running? Its a part of MS security essentials in Win 7. In theory it is not supposed to take up much resource, but is taking up 57,000 kb which is too much in my opinion. I have gone into mssecurity ess "settings" and excluded the file from running, supposedly, but it has made no difference at all. Still running; why I do not know.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    This is not my situation at all. This is running all the time; not only when my system is idle. A quick check with task manager on my system confirms this. I have a new powerful quad system, and this kind of percentage is just not the case.

Thanks
    One of the reasons for mspeng.exe running with high CPU utilisation is that it's trying to deal with malware that it recognises but is unable to deal with. Another reason is that it is conflicting with another security product. Do you have any other anti-malware software installed?

(Another possible reason is an installation fault/failure, in which case the normal advice is to un-install/re-install MSE. Is this a new installation?

Thanks
    I don't think high cpu usage is the problem here, more the usage of a whopping 57MB of memory!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK well as I write this i am looking at my desktop gadget, you know the two round meters, one measures the cpu and the other measures the ram. The cpu is between1-3% as I write this but my 4 gig of ram is at 55% So Browni is correct! Now with all my win explorer windows closed, this drops down to about 45%
    Last edited by goodoldboy; 2015-02-18 at 01:00. Reason: correction

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As requested "Do you have any other anti-malware software installed?"
    --- Your computer is new.
    --- Usually new computers come with an internet security package free trial
    --- If it isn't activated it could be trying to become activated
    --- If it is activated MSSE is running in conflict with it
    --- Has MSSE ever run ok on the computer?

Check your startups

At this time it might make sense to boot into Safe Mode w/networking
    Download and run ESET Online Scan http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
    or Malwarebytes Free http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

Thanks
    I don't have a mspeng.exe running in my Windows 7 PC. I have MsMpEng.exe running, using 53,700 MB of memory. Performance Monitor shows 2.53GB of RAM in use, which would be 63% of 4GB RAM. I have 8GB, so it's 31% for me.

This is all normal. An AV/AM program is memory resident; otherwise, it wouldn't be active. 57MB is only 1% of 4GB, not a big price to pay for active AV/AM protection. Every active process on the PC is going to take up some memory. On a PC with 4GB, 50% +/- memory usage is normal, depending on the number of processes running.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With Norton 360 running and two IE windows open, mine shows as 1.68GB of my installed 8GB in use (21%)

There are two entries for Norton 360 - 6468k and 4664k - 11132k in total - so much for Norton 360 being a resource hog.

It would seem that mspeng.exe is part of Windows Defender and not MSE, so it can be easily resolved. http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vist...s-msmpeng-exe/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-18 at 10:42.

Thanks
    I don't have "mspeng.exe" in either MSE or Windows Defender, in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. A search at support.microsoft.com doesn't turn up anything at all, either for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent information. I didn't think 57MB of memory shouldn't be an issue either but it was posed as being related to system resources. I was under the impression that MSE was just continuing to run mspeng.exe and that could have been the possibility of an attempted infection and should be investigated. But this new computer I would imagine has at least 4GB memory, chances are even more. goodoldboy is there anything more we need to investigate?

Thanks
    I would do a system search for mspeng.exe.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should get my eyes tested and goodoldboy should clarify if the file is mspeng.exe or msmpeng.exe ?

Process Explorer will show which files are running. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb896653.aspx

Click on Options - hover over VirusTotal.com and check its box.

That will produce a column in blue but can include one or more in red.

Any with a red highish value/~50 should be treated as suspect and a Google will give a description of the file and whether it should be deleted or not.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've just enabled Windows Defender in my Win 7, brought it up to date and it's currently running a scan and the only file that is listed for it in Process Explorer is MSASCui.exe, although I've found another Googled article that says msmpeng.exe is part of Windows Defender, but it doesn't show up in my system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've just enabled Windows Defender in my Win 7, brought it up to date and it's currently running a scan and the only file that is listed for it in Process Explorer is MSASCui.exe, although I've found another Googled article that says msmpeng.exe is part of Windows Defender, but it doesn't show up in my system.
    MsMpEng.exe is part of Windows Defender in Windows 8.1. In Widows 7 it's part of Microsoft Security Essentials, not Windows Defender. MSASCui.exe is the executable for Windows Defender in Windows 7.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast