Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change a internal hd to external hd

Hi All,

I'm interested in using a Seagate SATA internal HD for a external HD. It was in a 2008 Dell mini tower, I have a cable for the HD, but nothing for power, I need to buy a enclosure also, any suggestions on where to purchase cable and enclosure and how to hook it up, thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I would recommend a USB 3 or eSata III (6) connection to your computer IF available. USB 3 is very fast compared to 2 (and even eSata II) . Most newer computers will have USB 3, eSata is rarer. If your cable is an internal Sata cable it wil not be of use, but most enclosures will come w/ cables any way. I use a dock station which I love but I am on my 3rd unit. IMHO they tend to fail. If your computer does not have USB3 or eSATA you may buy an addin card or simply go w/ USB 2. As to brand I am not recommending any at this time.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    You won't need the cable as wavy said as the drive will connect internally to the enclosure. Regarding power, some enclosures come with a seperate AC power supply, others use a second USB cable. if portability is your preference then you may want to go with a fully USB powered device.

As for hooking it up. all you need to do is connect A USB cable from it to your PC!

Thanks
    I'm using this as I have many internal drives of all shapes and sizes lying around.
    It'll utilize both USB 3.0 and eSATA connectors, It'll also fit laptop sized internal drives as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    QWest,

I use this unit. It's like the one CLiNT uses but it is only a single bay. I've been very happy with it. And it was only $20.00. Unfortunately, it's currently out of stock at Amazon.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    This is what I use currently with a 500GB sata disk installed.

It works perfectly as an external HD as it does as a media player.
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-02-18 at 22:00.

Thanks
    Since only one of the mentioned units is available I will also coyly say this is what I use I am on my third unit but the customer service is excellent !

Browni, that unit looks interesting but is out of stock as is yours RG.
    Clint, you may have given the wrong link as the listing does not mention USB 3.
    BTW I have not seen any 3 1/2 HDD enclosures the do not need a power supply for a 3 1/2 drive.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Clint, you may have given the wrong link as the listing does not mention USB 3.
    I stand corrected, it's USB 2.0

Thanks Wavy
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your replies, the Dell I mentioned cooked the motherboard, bought a HP low end mini tower last May. I was told it's basically a laptop in a tower, running Win 8.1 I'm sure it has usb3. There is no place to install the Dell HD in it so I thought there was a way to use it externally, extra space is always nice to have.