Thanks

CHKDSK--It dosen't

I have attempted to run CHKDSK from a Command Prompt, and it says it will run after a Restart. After Windows 7 begins its start-up, the message that Windows needs to check C:\ for problems appears and a count-down begins from 10. Before zero is reached, the count-down is automatically terminated and the restart continues. I touch no keys at this point, so I am not causing this problem. Even when several CHKDSKs have been requested in a row, the same occurrence takes place. So, how can I either force the CHKDSK to run, or remove it from the start-up???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you choosing to Restart or to Shut down? I've seen chkdsk not run until the computer was fully off and started from the power button. Also, be sure to wait, it will appear Windows is starting then switch to the DOS-type window.

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can run chkdsk in read-only mode by not adding any switches such as /f or /r and this doesn't require a reboot for the volume to be dismounted.

Let us know what that finds or you can post its output by right clicking in the text area in the command window - click on Select all and press enter, then after placing the cursor in the reply box, right click and select Paste.

If it's a registry problem then this article may help. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-...run-at-startup

Thanks
    Chkdsk can be run from a repair disk or from the installation DVD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Sudo15--your link does not work.

Clint--my HDD shows 'dirty' but nothing happens following instructions at your link.

Requesting a check-disk from the command prompt solicits the same response. After a restart, the message states that a check of C: needs to be run, a countdown timer begins to allow cancellation, and before zero is reached the whole thing is cancelled. On rare occasions in the past, the check has been allowed to run. I would like it to run, but it is not absolutely necessary.

What I have been asking thruout this whole thread is: How can I get it to run, or How can I make it go away???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    What I have been asking thruout this whole thread is: How can I get it to run, or How can I make it go away???
    Post #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Chkdsk can be run from a repair disk or from the installation DVD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The link doesn't work for me now either.

Give this a try - boot up into the Advanced Boot options - tapping F8 or whichever key combo for your machine as you switch on - select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment.

Select Command Prompt - type bcdedit |find "osdevice" and press enter then using whichever partition letter, type and enter (assuming C ) chkdsk c: /r

That's a Pipe symbol before find.

That will execute without the need to reboot and will display its findings in the command window until you enter exit to close the window.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-26 at 18:30.

Thanks
    Using a Repair Disk, I selected the Command Prompt and learned that the partition letter was E:. I ran the chkdsk e: /r and the program found one unindexed file, which it repaired. After rebooting, no chkdsk was scheduled. Over several days, several reboots showed the problem solved, with no recurrence. Thanks for all your help!!!

Thanks
    Glad you got it straightened out, and thanks for letting us know.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    Using a Repair Disk, I selected the Command Prompt and learned that the partition letter was E:. I ran the chkdsk e: /r and the program found one unindexed file, which it repaired. After rebooting, no chkdsk was scheduled. Over several days, several reboots showed the problem solved, with no recurrence. Thanks for all your help!!!
    That's good to hear and thanks for the update.

You can use the thread tools dropdown to Mark thread as Solved if you don't have any other issues.

BTW - that link works now if a little slow to load and a bit jerky to scroll.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-04 at 11:18.

Thanks
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-26d7131ec643 -- however, this is registry editing; proceed after making solid restorable OS partition image[s].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/