New Lounger
    Thanks

HP Stream 13 Notebook + Win 8.1, only 300MB left on 32GB SSD drive

Don't get me wrong, this horizon-blue gradient color Celeron N2840-powered HP Stream 13 Notebook PC with mere 2GB RAM is a beaut for everyday browsing and light Word processing, and its Windows 8.1 (64-bit) is a joy to use with its free 1-year Office 365 sub. Coming from a Linux fan that's quite a compliment!

However, Windows' updates threaten to ruin my experience despite having eliminated all the bloat since first switching it on in December 2014 as there's nothing but 300MB left of the 32GB SSD drive with only Windows 8.1 + Office 365 installed. All personal documents, photos, video, music etc. are stored on a 64GB microSD memory card. The real culprit is the non-removable 7.1GB Recovery partition all $200 Windows 8.1 machines seem to need to boot and run.

Since these cheap Windows machines have now been out 'in the wild' for about six months I'm wondering if anybody has yet come up with a simple solution to this running out of 32GB SSD drive space. Otherwise I'll have no option but to wipe the SSD and install a Linux distro. That would be a shame on this fine HP PC.

daibak

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The recovery partition isn't actually required for operation so you could image the disk, then use one of the free partition managers to remove the recovery partition and move and expand the OS partition. You may need to create a new boot config with BCDBOOT.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I'm used to working with Windows 8.1 as a reliable, push-button type productive PC environment (rather than as a tinkerer as I do with Linux) I'll hold off for the time being as I sense there's too much doubt in BCDBOOT meddling. The HP support fora are rife with disaster/recovery scenarios of those who deleted the recovery partition, example
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop...ht/true#M75389
    Thank you for your input, Paul, nonetheless.

daibak

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've used BCDBOOT lots, works a treat. Besides, that's what image backups are for.

cheers, Paul