Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual tryout

New Lounger
    Thanks

Virtual tryout

I have installed a "Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do you think it wise or even possible to install WIN 10 in it and take it for a test drive before I risk everything on a complete download from the internet?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gerry,

Not only possible but I've been doing it that way for months now. Give it a go! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. As a guy I hate to admit that I'm this unsure but I was until I got your email RG.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Gerry,

That's not only wise and possible but, one of the best recommended ways to test a beta OS. Was it necessary to grab VB instead of using the embedded Hyper-V? Some people seem to fare better w/ Hyper-V than VB. Although, it (VB) has been ok for some, as well.

Enjoy Windows 10, it's great!

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just begun running it, but I have taken a different route with no virtualization. If you are worried about virtual drives, I am using a real drive, and I would be curious to know if the result is likely to be any closer to real performance.

The question is often asked about what to do with old or disused computers, but no one seems to think of running beta versions on them. In my case it’s a capable machine, but I have installed the beta on a disused 60 GB hard drive. Sixty gigs is enough for anything I can think to test, and by putting it on an expendable standard drive in a computer with i5 and 8 GB I get a good sense of what it’s all about. In my case the installation was routine and the system, with practically no additional software (Google Earth Pro runs well), is stable and smooth.

One thing I think we should all ask for the heads up on is whether or not we will have to buy new computers to run it, as was the case with Vista. Beta testers for 10 were required to have some proficiency with UEFI, and that is one thing that is being constantly upgraded but that is high-tech and invisible to most of us, and I think Windows 8 may have had certain problems because of it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I have just begun running it, but I have taken a different route with no virtualization. If you are worried about virtual drives, I am using a real drive, and I would be curious to know if the result is likely to be any closer to real performance.
    Initially I installed it on a virtual hard disk and ran it just fine. Some what slower startup due to being on an actual hard disk. Then I took the .iso and installed it on a SSD, both controlled from a BIOS motherboard. After boot, I don't find much difference in operation with stuff from Office97 to later programs (I can't bring myself to call them "APPS").

Just for your information and I hope this helps your decision.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post

The question is often asked about what to do with old or disused computers, but no one seems to think of running beta versions on them. In my case it’s a capable machine, but I have installed the beta on a disused 60 GB hard drive. Sixty gigs is enough for anything I can think to test, and by putting it on an expendable standard drive in a computer with i5 and 8 GB I get a good sense of what it’s all about. In my case the installation was routine and the system, with practically no additional software (Google Earth Pro runs well), is stable and smooth.

One thing I think we should all ask for the heads up on is whether or not we will have to buy new computers to run it, as was the case with Vista. Beta testers for 10 were required to have some proficiency with UEFI, and that is one thing that is being constantly upgraded but that is high-tech and invisible to most of us, and I think Windows 8 may have had certain problems because of it.
    Hi ___,

You are absolutely right in what you say about using a, what is referred to as, "spare box". The only ways to run (test) a beta OS is as a VM, VHD, dual-boot or on a "spare box". So, yes, if a person has one available, definitely, go for it; it's, really, the ideal approach. 60GB is enough and sure nothing wrong w/ an I% & 8GB RAM, @ all. It is no surprise on a set-up like that you are seeing good results. Myself, I have excellent performance as a VM... on a spare box (like yours) should be, @ least, as good... boot-up will be quicker. But, there are others benefits of use an actual machine... like seeing all externals, USBs & such.

As for your ask, the answer is no. If a device is running 7 SP1 or 8.1, it will take Win10. There is no comparison to the move to Vista scenario. Vista was 'heavy'. 10 is 'light'. It has been very interesting & enlightening some of the older & or not very robust gear on which 10 is running & very nicely, too.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41894

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    But, there are others benefits of use an actual machine... like seeing all externals, USBs & such.
    Perhaps you missed a setting or two when creating your Hyper-V Windows 10 VM. Mine sees everything that the host machine sees—USB's and such. Of course, it only sees the amount of RAM that I assigned to it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Any idea what that might be? Certainly, far from the 1st VM I've ever built in Hyper-V. Can print from the VM but, does not see the External drive or the web cam/mic. It does see the internal Data drive. Have checked & rechecked... what do you think has been missed? I have thought, maybe, the same but...

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41902

Thanks
    Any idea what that might be? Certainly, far from the 1st VM I've ever built in Hyper-V. Can print from the VM but, does not see the External drive or the web cam/mic. It does see the internal Data drive. Have checked & rechecked... what do you think has been missed? I have thought, maybe, the same but...
    Really? That's never come up before?
    . . . a Microsoft Partner and an IT Pro working on computer issues for people for quite a while . . .. Have, also, attended many MS seminars and conferences.
    You should be able to fill in any blanks using your favorite search engine. There are a number of methods for accessing host USB-connected drives via a Hyper-V VM; surely you can find something suitable.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Never mind, knew was silly to bother talking w/ you. Thanks for proving me right.

And you can drop your constant effort to twist (words) or use things (often skewed or taken out of context) as or into personal insults.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41922

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew,
    Your mind works in mysterious ways.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Drew,
    Your mind works in mysterious ways.
    No need to concern yourself w/ that be it the case or not. But, thanks for the helpful, on topic, input. Appreciated by all site visitors, to be sure.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41924

Thanks
    I have six OS's that I work with on the same Desktop PC, but..... each one is on it's own hard drive.

I just plug in the one I want to work with. The OS under test never sees the other OS's. So the environment is exactly like it would be in the real world , , , One computer, one hard drive and One OS. Then I get a 100% accurate evaluation of an OS, , , boot up time, shutdown time, compatibility with all my hardware, etc.

As a true 'tester' it's the only way I can be sure of what I'm seeing, as to how one OS compares to another OS, on the same hardware.

I've been VERY Happy with how compatible Windows 10 is with older hardware and software. The 32 bit version of W-10, will even play 16 bit software, that dates back to before Windows. The 64 bit version of Win-10 will NOT!

So if I have to pick an OS to replace my trusty XP, it will have to be Windows 10, 32 bit. It does everything that XP will do, even to run Windows Mail, with some tweaks.

Cheers Mates and Happy Testing!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    So if I have to pick an OS to replace my trusty XP, it will have to be Windows 10, 32 bit. It does everything that XP will do, even to run Windows Mail, with some tweaks.
    And you've submitted that to the Windows 10 Team via the Windows Feedback tile?

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast