5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question IE 10 is going crazy - don't know why?

I was working away on IE10 tonight and all of a sudden, I got a message that Internet Explorer has stopped working and Windows would see what was happening (words to that effect). I shut it down and restarted IE10 and same problem. I had been starting it from an icon on my desktop, so I thought I would go to the program itself and see if that would work - it didn't - same message. So then I decided to see of it would work on my laptop. Started it up and clicked on the IE icon and it came up okay, until I was typing a message into the Windows Secret forum, much as I am doing now and it too went the same route - Internet Explorer has stopped working...

I could not get it to work on either machine, so I thought I would install Firefox on my desktop, but that didn't work - it would not install - don't know why.

My next step was back to the desktop and to my Win 8 tile interface that has an IE symbol on it. I clicked on the symbol and here we are - it seems to be working.

So, it will not work on two different machines, both running Win 8.1 when access is gained by going through the application bar, but the access through the tiles works.

So what is going on? I am at a loss to try and explain this, as I have never experienced this before. I am beginning to wonder if the IE application has been hacked somehow. I ran Symantec's Norton AV and everything was okay on my machines.

I want my old access to IE 11 back. What do I do?

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2015-02-21 at 03:56.

Thanks
    Even though your AV didn't find anything, it could still be malware, or possibly a PUP (potentially unwanted program) installed inadvertently . Start by running Malwarebytes free.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Follow it up with Adware Cleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Even though your AV didn't find anything, it could still be malware, or possibly a PUP (potentially unwanted program) installed inadvertently . Start by running Malwarebytes free.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Follow it up with Adware Cleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.
    Calimanco, this worked. All I had to do was run the malwarebytes program and that resolved the problem. Thank you very much. There were a couple of files that started with "PUP."that had inserted themselves into the IE initialization.
    The problem now is that I do not know where they came from unless they came from a program that I downloaded from SIGMA Corporation, a very large, worldwide corporation that makes lenses for cameras. The only problem with that is the program from SIGMA was downloaded in the afternoon on Friday, and these problems did not start until very early Saturday morning. Maybe there was a "time delay" on the program(). Maybe that is why the SIGMA program did not work as expected. I will have to check it out.

Regardless, this resolution has again proven the incredible value that forums like this one bring to the Internet.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2015-02-21 at 16:34.