Star Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent WLAN connection

My set up is
    3 computers all running win 7 or 8, two wireless printers and a smart tv. All connected by a Homegroup WLAN ( security)through a BT Home Hub 3 Router. All have DHCP allocated ip addresses, Good internet Broadband connection (25Mbs). Under normal conditions all the devices communicate with each other and with the internet.
    At apparently random intervals (though usually after a period of inactivity of several hours) a problem occurs. (the system has worked normally for a couple of years). Connection between the devices is lost. Computers won't share files or connect to the printers etc. though each of the computers still connect normally to the internet. Ping produces an "unreachable host " error message in each case other than from computer to hub . Hitting the reset button on the router immediately restores normal service
    During one of these outages hardwiring two computers to the router enables them to communicate normally.
    I looked for interference problems Inssider shows only one other Wifi signal on another channel 6. I have tried channels 1 and 11 without success.
    It is tempting to assume that because reset works that it is a router problem but there could be other reasons. Chatted with BT who tried to be helpful but gave no useful suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like it could be a power settings problem in Win 8 - I think I read that Win 8 disconnects after a period of inactivity, but Win 8/8.1 users may be able to better confirm that.

Rebooting the router would obviously wake things up again - but I would have expected someone from BT to have suggested this ?

Right clicking on the Network adapters in Device Manager - Properties - Power Management tab and checking that the Allow computer to switch off this device box is unchecked may also be worth looking at.

If it had been a router Wireless Time Out setting the disconnects wouldn't be random.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only reason why I don't think it is a win 8.1 power setting problem is that it occurs on all computers simultaneously and each computer still connects to the internet.
    All allow computer switch off boxes are unchecked.
    I can't find any time out settings on the router other than power saving which is disabled. Router is left on 24/7.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Firewalls can disrupt a Home group, but wouldn't have thought it would be random.

As they all drop out at the same time, does Event Viewer record the event ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Conveniently!! the fault recurred in the last hour but there is no relevant entry in event viewer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If there's nothing in Reliability history either, try these two commands from an elevated command prompt -

netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ipv6 reset resetlog.txt

exit

Then reboot.

You need IPv6 for a Homegroup and resetting the TCP/IP stack may help if it's playing up in one machine that it could disrupt the Homegroup - but that's just a guess as I'm out of ideas on this.

Do you have a restore point back to before this started happening ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. No joy I am afraid. I did have one system restore point which was old enough but it didn't help. I am pretty sure it is a router problem because
    1 I added a friends pc to the network and it behaved like all the others
    2 It seems inconceivable that 4 pc's two printers and a smart tv could all go wrong at the same time. There must be a common feature the router.
    3 The router, when in fault mode will receive wireless signals from pc's but won't send recognisable signals to the devices. In particular the smart tv, a receive device won't download from the internet.
    I will have another go at BT.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The BT Hub 3 dates back to 2011 so it's getting a bit long in the tooth now, so you're probably due an upgrade.

They brought out the BT Hub 4 out in 2013 to replace the 3 and now 5 is out which is an AC router.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-02-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have persuaded BT that it is a hub problem and a new hub is on the way. Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbn View Post
    I have persuaded BT that it is a hub problem and a new hub is on the way. Thanks again
    That's great news - keep us updated !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to keep in mind is that 2.4 MHz routers work on nearly the same frequency as cordless telephones and also microwave ovens. Possibly one of these devices is in use when your network drops.

Pat

16. The Following User Says Thank You to phamil For This Useful Post:

mcbn (2015-03-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    New router --bt 5.0-- now run for a couple of weeks with no problems. So problem solved Thanks to everyone for your help

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad it was BT's kit that was causing the problem and you didn't have to go digging deeper into your set up.

And thanks for the update.

You can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark Thread as Solved.