Thread: Backup NG

New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup NG

I can backup my pc 3 ways. MicrosoftBackup, Acronis, Western Digital My Book. The last 2 work fine. For the firsttime I've had a problem with Microsoft Backup. The backup will not completebecause: "one of your backup files could not be created, I/O deviceerror" along with error# 0x8078002A. I also tried to create just a systemimage. Did not work either.

Why is this suddenly happening? It would be nice to know which file could notbe "created".
    I am using a 3TB external drive. Plenty of space available.
    Anyway waiting for your help. Thanks

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 HomePremium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8174 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 942298 MB, Free - 815428 MB; D: Total - 11467 MB, Free- 1401 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AC2
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner:Enabled

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge yellowrose.

Looks like you aren't alone on this, but their problems would appear to be from scratch and not after previously successful use - if I'm reading your post correctly. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-9e60cef182f1
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-21 at 17:29.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind backup, have you tried recovery ???

I have lost count of the number of friends who thought they had usable backups only to find they couldn't restore from them. That is a very frustrating place to be !

The biggest culprit seems to be Microsoft backup. There really is no point at all in backups if you can't rely on them - that's the reason I moved to Acronis and - after a few successful recoveries, that's why I am staying with Acronis.

Thanks
    I've been using Acronis True Image for a few years now. I do make sure to take care of my external hard-drives, any sudden bat byte or bad cluster can render X-tlb unusable.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd chose one backup program and stick with it. There really is no reason to have more than one.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went through this. Win 7 does not recognize the file format of the larger 3tb+ drives. The smaller ones use a 512 file format. The larger ones use 4K. MS does not seem to have any interest in correcting the problem either. I returned my external 3TB drive and am looking for other options. Having 5 computers to backup will get expensive having to buy backup software for each one. I prefer to use the MS backup application that has scheduled backups.
    Dell suggested that I reformat the drive using NTFS format. Does anyone have any experience with this and know if it will correct the problem with Win 7 and the larger drives?

Thanks
    Advantages of NTFS - I still wouldn't use MS backup though, its too unreliable.

1. The capability to recover from some disk-related errors automatically which FAT32 cannot.
    2. Improved support for larger hard disks.
    3. Better security because you can use permissions and encryption to restrict access to specific files to approved user.
    4. Faster access speed. NTFS minimizes the number of disk accesses required to find a file.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Backup might be "easier" but if it doesn't "work" is there any point ?

As I mentioned earlier, I think that all you have experienced so far is difficulty in making backups. Have you tried recovering from a backup ? In my experience MS Backup can be every bit as troublesome in the recovery process and when you need it is the wrong time to find that you have backups you cannot recover !

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I've previously used just Windows backup after restoring, it never puts the files back where it found them but the Windows system image works well for me which I put onto a 500GB Seagate external drive and has pulled me out of the mire on more than one occasion.

I have full system images on there for 4 laptops and when you create a new one, it just overwrites the existing one so the disk isn't going to get saturated with system images - but it would depend upon what you have stored to determine the size of external disk you would need.

Any photos or stuff like that should be backed up/stored on their own external HDDs

To restore from the external system images, you have to go into the Recovery Environment - plug the external HDD in and then select Restore from an image I made earlier - or words to that effect.