5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Image Setup

I have a friend who works at an equipment rental business, that uses software which can't run on anything newer than XP. There is a "server" PC which a couple of other PC's at the counter interact with. A couple weeks ago the server PC died, and the owner brought one of his home PC's in for me to install the needed software on. Got their system up and running, but then found out one element of the software needs Internet Information Services, which only runs on XP Pro--and the new server is running XP Home.

I've purchased the upgrade for Pro, but want to make a system image in case anything goes wrong during the upgrade. I installed the MS Backup and Restore program from the XP Home install disk yesterday, but it requires a floppy disk to run the Restore from. And the PC doesn't have a floppy drive. Can someone recommend a program which can do backup and restore without needing a floppy disk?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    ...I installed the MS Backup and Restore program from the XP Home install disk yesterday, but it requires a floppy disk to run the Restore from. And the PC doesn't have a floppy drive...
    Forget about the XP backup functions - they simply will not do what you need.

Suggest you look seriously at "BootIt Bare Metal" to backup your server reliably before making further changes. You can run BootItBM from a CD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I reckon you should buy a new server and set up XP in a virtual machine on the server. Then you have an easy backup / transfer solution for your XP whilst having an up to date and secure server.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you're forced to get a floppy drive, most computer stores will have such for sale. However, be forewarned, getting such thingies online can be a hassle. Best to go with Coochin and PaulT's advice!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/