Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Mystery: Multiple, nested Application Data subfolders in AppData\Local (Win7 Home Premium SP1)

[Win 7 Home Premium SP1] A few days ago, puzzling why I hadn't been able to find particular folders or files in My Document and its subfolders, I noticed that (using Windows Explorer) the folders normally in My Documents (C:\users\user\My Documents) were in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Applicat... Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\..... ...down about 25 more nested tiers, before I finally got to the folders that normally right under "C:\users\...\My Documents".
    I am operating OK (...limping along...); however this computer (which is normally slow -- only a single-core processor!) has become even slower. No wonder!
    I still experience times when I look for a saved file, and cannot find it because it's stored in some phantom instance of the folder that I saved it in, not the real folder.
    Currently, my C:\users\user\My Documents folder shows that I have 2,985 folders, and 26,602 files, but I suspect that more than 50% of those are due to multiple instances of the same folders and files.

1. Is the problem possibly related to Win 7's "Library" feature, which looked appealing at first, and I accepted it as the default offering, but I now realize that there are some possibilities for fouling up the <file system? file structure?> if using it. (I like the "Recent Places" feature a lot; it's useful.)
    2. Is the problem possibly related to one of my two backup apps -- SpiderOak and Norton 360 Premier Edition? On the Desktop and in Win Explorer's Details list view, one or both of them tend to replace the regular icon with a special icon on each file that has been included in the backup. I'm wondering if some obscure bug in a backup app messes with the placement of my files and folders...
    3. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, which OS are you using?
    4. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    This is a well-known (to me!) bug caused by using Robocopy without eXcluding Junctions, possibly exacerbated by messing around with file permissions, in the early days of using Windows 7 and not understanding where the various components of "Documents and Settings" from the days of XP had been relocated and renamed in Windows 7 (and in Vista, which pleasingly I had managed to avoid).

It is possible that one of your backup programs is not aware of Junctions, but it seems unlikely because backups usually move files away from your C: drive.

Read more about the problem here. And by searching for the relevant key-words.

As for a solution, look at post #6 in my link, and see if that works for you!

Later...
    The link to find JunctionBox may fail for you. Perhaps try http://iwrconsultancy.co.uk/junctionbox
    Last edited by BATcher; 2015-02-22 at 14:33.
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2015-02-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings, BATcher:
    Good grief -- that sounds exactly like what I had been doing -- messing around with file permissions!
    Years back, my teenage son decided to diddle with the main system password. At that point, I didn't even know that there was such an animal... I was never able to discover that [random!] password.
    One fine day I took off with some Microsoft utility like AccessChk or AccesEnum. Then I placed a dropdown menu command "Take Ownership" on the system, and never looked back.
    I'll give your suggestions a try. I will also strive to stop resolving PC problems with just half a brain.
    Many thanks for the help, and for the prompt reply.
    Cheers,
    John S

Thanks
    I hope you are successful, with minimal effort!

My problem was so long ago that I can't remember how I solved it. I don't think that I did a complete reinstallation of Windows 7, though, but that might be a possibility...
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln