Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Mystery: Multiple, nested Application Data subfolders in AppData\Local (Win7 Home Premium SP1)

[Win 7 Home Premium SP1] A few days ago, puzzling why I hadn't been able to find particular folders or files in My Document and its subfolders, I noticed that (using Windows Explorer) the folders normally in My Documents (C:\users\user\My Documents) were in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Applicat... Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\..... ...down about 25 more nested tiers, before I finally got to the folders that normally right under "C:\users\...\My Documents".
    I am operating OK (...limping along...); however this computer (which is normally slow -- only a single-core processor!) has become even slower. No wonder!
    I still experience times when I look for a saved file, and cannot find it because it's stored in some phantom instance of the folder that I saved it in, not the real folder.
    Currently, my C:\users\user\My Documents folder shows that I have 2,985 folders, and 26,602 files, but I suspect that more than 50% of those are due to multiple instances of the same folders and files.

1. Is the problem possibly related to Win 7's "Library" feature, which looked appealing at first, and I accepted it as the default offering, but I now realize that there are some possibilities for fouling up the <file system? file structure?> if using it. (I like the "Recent Places" feature a lot; it's useful.)
    2. Is the problem possibly related to one of my two backup apps -- SpiderOak and Norton 360 Premier Edition? On the Desktop and in Win Explorer's Details list view, one or both of them tend to replace the regular icon with a special icon on each file that has been included in the backup. I'm wondering if some obscure bug in a backup app messes with the placement of my files and folders...
    3. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, which OS are you using?
    4. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    This is a well-known (to me!) bug caused by using Robocopy without eXcluding Junctions, possibly exacerbated by messing around with file permissions, in the early days of using Windows 7 and not understanding where the various components of "Documents and Settings" from the days of XP had been relocated and renamed in Windows 7 (and in Vista, which pleasingly I had managed to avoid).

It is possible that one of your backup programs is not aware of Junctions, but it seems unlikely because backups usually move files away from your C: drive.

Read more about the problem here. And by searching for the relevant key-words.

As for a solution, look at post #6 in my link, and see if that works for you!

Later...
    The link to find JunctionBox may fail for you. Perhaps try http://iwrconsultancy.co.uk/junctionbox
    Last edited by BATcher; 2015-02-22 at 15:33.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2015-02-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings, BATcher:
    Good grief -- that sounds exactly like what I had been doing -- messing around with file permissions!
    Years back, my teenage son decided to diddle with the main system password. At that point, I didn't even know that there was such an animal... I was never able to discover that [random!] password.
    One fine day I took off with some Microsoft utility like AccessChk or AccesEnum. Then I placed a dropdown menu command "Take Ownership" on the system, and never looked back.
    I'll give your suggestions a try. I will also strive to stop resolving PC problems with just half a brain.
    Many thanks for the help, and for the prompt reply.
    Cheers,
    John S

Thanks
    I hope you are successful, with minimal effort!

My problem was so long ago that I can't remember how I solved it. I don't think that I did a complete reinstallation of Windows 7, though, but that might be a possibility...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...