3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I want to set up a RAID array on my computer.

I'm still using XP. Yes I know the issues. I've tried LINUX on another machine and it's OK and I don't know if I want to give MS more money. Regardless there's all the time involved installing the old software. I have a 3TB hard drive that I've used Paragon GPT Disk Manager. I also have 2 partition on that drive. I'll have to go to a 4TB for the other two drives and that will have a total of 5 when I finish combining a 2TB and 1.5TB drive. Will I have to do the same with the second drive? I assume so. Once I do does the RAID take care of populating the second drive?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I may offer a word of caution, RAID comes in a variety of different versions, related to the design of the motherboard to which your drives are attached.

I had a motherboard failure, an old design that my son could not replace easily, if at all. The new board could not read the RAID created in the old version, and recovery of the data on the array tested his skills to the very limit.

My bitterly acquired experience leads me to advise you to get advice from someone who knows what they are doing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As John has pointed out, RAID is not necessarily the answer to reliability issues. This is particularly true of software RAID, where Windows is required to manage the RIAD as well as run your stuff.
    I think you are better off using a single disk for your machine, rather than RAID, and using an external disk for backup. If you are really paranoid you could use an internal disk for daily backup and an external that copies from the internal backup disk.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A further possibility is to use a NAS device, which are specifically designed to implement RAIDed disks. They aren't cheap, but are designed to be reliable.

However 'reliable' does not mean 'infallible', and additional backup methods should be considered for important data.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...