New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Inbox emails

I help an 85 year old friend with his computer. He is using Xp and Outlook Express. I keep track of his mails for him by using Shaw Webmail as he lives a fair distance away and it is not convenient to attend his home,. In the past month his new emails remain in the inbox for about an hour and then disappear. I have checked all his settings and they seem correct. After some searching I discovered that his inbox emails are going into his Sent items folder. He has been in contact with his mail provider several times but nothing they have done seems to help. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    I help an 85 year old friend with his computer. He is using Xp and Outlook Express. I keep track of his mails for him by using Shaw Webmail as he lives a fair distance away and it is not convenient to attend his home,. In the past month his new emails remain in the inbox for about an hour and then disappear. I have checked all his settings and they seem correct. After some searching I discovered that his inbox emails are going into his Sent items folder. He has been in contact with his mail provider several times but nothing they have done seems to help. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    I am sorry to say that I have given you a bit of wrong information. His inbox emails are just disappearing from his inbox within an hour of them appearing. They are not appearing in any of his other email folders. His email settings all appear to be ok and the emails are not being mistaken as spam. He can send emails ok its just that his incoming emails appear in his inbox and then disappear before an hour has passed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can no-one help me to assist this old feller Please
    Thanks for any input.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hard to say what may be happening. Do the emails disappear from the web interface or Outlook Express? Is the account configured as POP or IMAP?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The emails appear in both Outlook Express and also when I bring up his email through the webmail (on my computer) and then within the hour they suddenly disappear. He can send emails ok. I do not know about the account but I think it is a Ppo account.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe he has archiving set to one hour and the emails have been archived.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think you need to determine how the account is configured in Outlook Express, because that seems essential to understand what may be happening. It is important to know whether the account is configured as POP or IMAP, to begin with. If as POP, then it seems clear that the issue must be with the client configuration (once the emails are downloaded to the client, they will only disappear there if they are explicitly removed, through deletion, archival or by being moved elsewhere). If it is configured as IMAP, then it may be an issue with either the client or the email server.

Please try to determine this and then we can proceed from there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. He has complained about this problem to his Internet provider and they have checked his email configuration and tried various remedies with no success. I will attempt to find out whether he has IMAP or POP configuration. I am confident that he is not archiving them or otherwise moving them as unless he checks his emails every little while they just disappear with him not knowing they ever came in.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the delay in responding . This problem has now been resolved as he has bought a W8.1 computer and I set it up for him yesterday. He has decided to retire his old XP We never did find out why his emails were disappearing after showing up in his inbox.
    Thank you to those who responded to this thread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Good luck with the new computer .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good luck