3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade from WLM 11 to WLM 12

I upgraded a machine from Windows Live Mail (WLM) 11 to 12 using the Windows Essentials installer (WU would not bring up the update). The only thing I upgraded was what was already installed which was the mail and a photo program. Both were marked as upgrades and were not supposed to be fresh installs. Before I did this, I backed up the contacts. After the upgrade, the distribution lists have all disappeared. Are the distribution copied along with the individual contacts in the .csv file I exported?

I am also worried that if I imported these contacts that there would be duplicates. Is this the case? If so, I should probably delete the contacts and import them again only if the distribution list are preserved.

Is there a way to preserve the contacts structure then if the lists are not preserved? It wold be a fair amount of work for this person to recreate these lists or delete duplicate contacts.

I am assuming that a restore point was created when the upgrade was done, would a system restore bring back the original contacts and all of the distribution lists created? How about emails received since the upgrade?

Thanks, sorry for all of the questions in 1 post.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that my contacts structure remained intact the last time I did a clean install.
    I would attribute that to having an old Hotmail account that automatically repopulates the contacts, structure and all, once
    the account has been set up anew. (like from a clean install)

I can't speak for any non MS accounts though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have WLM installed on my Win 7 machine so I did a mock distribution list and saved it I then exported the contacts to a .csv file. I then browsed the file in notepad and could not find any trace of the list I created so that answers one of my questions.

I am not using WLM at the current time and was working on another machine.