Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No install 9926.

Trying to install 9926 on a Toshiba lappy running W-8, it says that I need to have 8.1 installed, I had forgotten. So, I try to install it, I have the .iso on the HD and click to start the show, nogo. It keeps telling me that it will not install on a USB key. What ? There is no key mounted at all, the Setup.exe is on the C:\. My next move it to format the C:\ ( I am that mad ! ) and then try the .exe again but it might not be the solution. How can I redirect the install to the C:\ ?
    I have the .iso on the HD, on a DVD and also on a 24 gigs SSD, USB connectible. I first D/L'd it to that SSD, do you think that it is keyed to it on account of this ? No matter where I "source" the .exe, I get the same result, it can not install to a USB device. Strange ! Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    Did you try installing 8.1 from the Windows 8 Store? If you do all the available Windows 8 Updates, you should see the 8.1 update in the Store.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I got all updates except KB2917499, it says that it will not install here. Also, on Store, it says that Store is not available in Windows to go Workspaces. The above noted update was required along with KB2871389 and that one installed fine. Is the first one really required and if so, why will it not be accepted ? Will this exclude me from W-10 when RTM comes around ?
    I got to chat with a techie (???) about this and all she wanted to do was to run my keys again. I bid off with a warm goodbye.
    Let me look up this Windows to go Workspaces. Have a fine day. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean, How did you install Windows 8? It looks like you somehow got Windows to Go installed rather than a full Windows install.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You got me Jerry, what is this W to go routine ? My install was done from the Web after MS offered a cheap install of around $36.00. I got one copy on my Acer then turned around to the other desk and go the same installed on the lappy. Should I format the HD and start over again, will my keys be good ?
    I already did a format on that HD and could not get anywhere so I cloned it back to W-8. Is this to Go OS because this is a portable ?
    I am up the creek, I can not install 9926, it needs W8.1 and I can not install it somehow. Wish me luck. Jean.

Thanks
    See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ndowstogo.aspx
    for a description of Windows to Go. It's a feature of the Enterprise version of Windows 8 that allows you to put a copy of Windows 8 on a Flash Drive and use it as a portable OS on multiple PCs.

You must have picked up the wrong ISO file when you installed Windows 8. If you still have the valid Product key from your web purchase, you can install a valid copy of Windows 8 by following the instructions here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oduct-key-only

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2015-02-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's to do with disk IDs after you clone a USB drive to a hard disk: My computer thinks it's a Windows To Go computer but it's not...

You need to search the registry for PortableOperatingSystem and change its value from 1 to 0: Multiple operations fail if Windows 8 is improperly identified as a Windows To Go installation

Bruce

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2015-02-24),jwitalka (2015-02-24)

Thanks
    Nice find Bruce. I've never heard of that before.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, me again.
    I will tell you a secret but then I might have to prevent you. Not really but here goes: I have another Toshiba lappy and it runs 9926, I used its clone on this laptop and it runs ! Promise me that you will not tell MS, ok ? I am on it now. After the clone, it went and looked for "devices", found what it wanted and presented me with my home screen. What more can I say ? A happy camper who had reservation on this operation but I could always clone it back to its W-8 OS.
    The score is 0 for W-8.1, 1 for Jean.
    I will thank you for your above reply, I will print it just in case.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-02-27 at 09:52. Reason: Typo.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce, I will note this too. Jean.