Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document checkin/checkout? (97SR2)

Is there any way to add minimal checkin/checkout capability to documents, possibly through VBA? My concern is with situations in which multiple users copy the same document off a network, make changes to it at home, and then copy their updates back to the network, overwriting each other's work. A full-blown document management system is in the works, but in the meantime, I am trying to find a combined manual/automated process for access control. We can add change tracking from within Word, but still have the problem of copies made from Explorer. We can't lock out off-network use completely, since several users work offsite/offnetwork and only return their work products at milestone date.

Any ideas or solutions to consider?

Thanks,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document checkin/checkout? (97SR2)

You've already identified the best answer... a DMS. You don't mention what your network you're running... I can only presume it isn't Win2K since you're still in O97 (most organizations upgrade both at the same time). If you're on NT, by making the files read only you could force a rename on save... but you will severely (and adversely) bloat your servers. I would suggest posting this on the VB/VBA board. What I would suggest is a routine which would run from the desktop that allows the user to browse for the document and then suggests creating a new version.
    Karen