Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

delayed start-up

Hello forum, just recently when I push the power button on my PC the top fan starts and then stops also the lights of the optical drives flash, and then about 15 to 20 seconds later the PC starts, this very new, before the SSD started so fast.
    Could it be a BIOS problem?
    One time I got a black screen with something about a thermal problem, it can't be a temperature problem I only surf the web, view pictures, and read email.

Home Built PC
    Intel DZ77SL-50K Motherboard
    Intel Core i5 Processor
    16 GB RAM

Thanks for any insight.
    jim ( tinman)
    retired sheet metal worker

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yes it can be a temperature problem !

Get yourself a hardware monitor - here's one example, there are many more out there: http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

You may have a failed fan, a blocked air passage, a motherboard problem . . . best to check rather than assume.

The startup delay could be due to a failed device, possibly due to overheating, so also look in device manager and check that all devices are working normally.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

tinman19 (2015-02-24)

Thanks
    just recently when I push the power button on my PC the top fan starts and then stops
    Sounds like you have an exhaust fan on the top of your Desktop PC. My question would be, why does it stop? It could indicate a bad fan, shorted connection, etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only seems to happen in the morning when I start-up, I shutdown every evening.
    Again this morning, after the fan and lights again started and stopped I got a black screen exact words were:

"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot.
    These can be viewed in setup on the Event Log Page.
    Warning: Processor Thermal Trip."

Press the Enter key to continue.

After pressing the Enter key everything works fine?
    jim ( tinman)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the temps are okay, it could be a dodgy sensor but the case could still benefit from a blow out with an air duster can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

tinman19 (2015-02-28)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK spent most of my morning cleaning and dusting the whole insides of the case, new thermal paste on the the i-5 cpu, re-seated the four memory sticks, and cleaned and vacuumed the graphics card. Reset the CMOS.
    On start-up no beeps, but there is a red flashing led at the top of the board next to the cpu fan power, all fans are running, bios reports 49 degrees C.
    All of my searching and reading leads me to either power supply or motherboard.
    Any other ideas?
    Oh and by the way it does boot up and work fine, after a few start and stops it finally boots.
    Last edited by tinman19; 2015-02-28 at 15:43.
    jim ( tinman)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “before the SSD started so fast” If you suspect it could be the SSD, maybe someone can recommend an appropriate test for it

“Only seems to happen in the morning when I start-up, I shutdown every evening”
    --- If you were to shut down at a convenient time and start back up as soon as possible, does it happen then?
    --- If you were to shut down at a convenient time and start back up at a later time such as an hour or two, does it happen then?

“On start-up no beeps,”
    --- This sounds like something new
    --- Although not limited to this idea, memory problem for whatever reason can be involved
    --- Try one memory at a time from slot 0
    --- Check out the beep codes, diagnostic lights system & troubleshooting procedures for your motherboard

“there is a red flashing led at the top of the board next to the cpu fan power”
    --- I believe I used to refer that as the MB flicker light or something like that
    --- Does it stay red all of the time?
    --- I would consider disconnecting the PS connector as well as other power connectors to the MB & other appropriate hardware and then reconnecting them

It sounds like you are not getting this anymore. Please verify whether or not it is so
    "The following are warnings that were detected during this boot.
    These can be viewed in setup on the Event Log Page.
    Warning: Processor Thermal Trip."

Have you run the openhardware monitor? http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
    Consider http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html also

“All of my searching and reading leads me to either power supply or motherboard”
    --- Very possible but. Let us know how recommendations are checking out

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This motherboard can also have a front panel flashing light error code http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2095...ProdSpec02.pdf

Any sign of those when it fails to boot first time and does it boot up into Safe Mode without any problems ?

Intel tech chat support for this motherboard series ended Dec 2014 so it only gives you this to work with http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support.../db-dz77sl-50k

Thanks
    Guys, Gals, in my BIOS [well ok UEFI converted to Legacy], there are several options to activate "temperature warnings," which I left unactivated. If such were activated, could some of the things OP is experiencing is a result of BIOS warnings/refuse to work until...temp cools? I want to learn from this thread.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman19 View Post
    ...Could it be a BIOS problem?...
    Possibly. If the motherboard is more than about six months old and you haven't upgraded the BIOS (or UEFI) then you would do well to check for an upgrade. Look up your motherboard's model number on Intel's Support website to see if an upgrade is available.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    NB - Support site already linked in Post #8

You can check your current BIOS version by going Start - type msinfo32 - press enter and it will be listed in the default Summary page.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks everyone for the input, finally after about two hours of trying PC started.

tried the memory stick one at a time, no go.

disconnected everything except for mouse and keyboard, no go.

rerouted power cables made sure they were seated, no go.

can't remove graphics card because motherboard does not have on-board graphics.

bios is the latest.

hardware monitor shows no flags.

Intel hardware monitor no flags.

so i ordered a new motherboard won't receive it until Tuesday, will advise if it works.
    jim ( tinman)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not certain that you have hardware issues . . . did you ever try a Windows Repair/install ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    will that help the flashing led problem?
    jim ( tinman)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It might !

As, sadly, you don't have a definite diagnosis you may as well exhaust the software measures before replacing hardware.

I did once read how to force all drivers to be replaced but I'm sorry to say I cannot find the link again :-(

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

tinman19 (2015-03-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast