Thanks

Mysterious error

I've been offline since the 15th because of a problem I had with my desktop on that date (what do you mean you hadn't noticed!). My PC (Win 8.1) came up with a light blue screen saying a problem had occurred. It gave me options to refresh etc, but none worked. So I restored from my latest Macrium Reflect image (no joy), and then an older one (still no joy). I found my Win 8 (that;s 8.0) ISO from Dec 2012 and that worked (but how much better is 8.1 than 8). Now I had a working system I tried another MR image. Still no joy.

I decided that I had reached the end of my knowledge on this and booked the PC into a local repairman. He had repaired my wife's laptop recently (cable form body to screen wonky and an inverter needed replacing) and this was at reasonable cost. I got the PC back today, the cause? He hadn't a clue because it was working when he booted it. He has wondered if it was something connected to it and the only thing I could think of was my wireless mouse and keyboard. However, when he brought it back we tried booting with the wireless kit and and it still worked.

He didn't charge me so he will get my custom again (though hopefully not in the near future ).

I suppose that the worst sort of error is the one that 'fixes itself' and you don't know what caused it. But I'm due a new PC soon so it's off to see what I can get.

One thing is, he tested the PC extensively and gave it a clean bill of health, so there is that to reassure me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Access,

When you made your MR Images did you Image just the C: drive or all the partitions on the drive?

Personally, I make it a practice to image the entire drive. That way if there is a problem with one of the other partitions causing problems w/the machine I have everything. I also make it a practice to Verify the image immediately after making it. (This is a simple option with Premium version but a separate operation w/the Free version).

Also make sure you recreate your restore media every time you update MR.

BTW: I've never had a problem restoring a MR Image. I did however have this problem with Acronis which is why I switched.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That sounds like something got screwed up in the memory that a cold boot could have resolved.

In the time that you switched off and took it to the tech, the memory would have drained and is probably why it was working okay when he tried it - something to bear in mind as a first trouble shooting step.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    That sounds like something got screwed up in the memory
    that a cold boot could have resolved.

In the time that you switched off and took it to the tech, the memory would have drained and is probably why it was working okay when he tried it - something to bear in mind as a first trouble shooting step.
    Eh?

Thanks
    RG, I only image the C drive, not my data drive, for which I use file history.

Sudo, like Browni I'm not sure what you mean but as I took from the Sunday to the Tuesday to try and fix things - and the desktop was switched off overnight, I'm not sure that was the cause of the problem. But then again, it's a computer and anything can happen

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I described has been known to happen, but you're right - leaving it off overnight could have the same effect - it would depend on how long it took the capacitors to discharge.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-25 at 09:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    That sounds like something got screwed up in the memory that a cold boot could have resolved. In the time that you switched off and took it to the tech, the memory would have drained and is probably why it was working okay when he tried it - something to bear in mind as a first trouble shooting step.
    woah , wait a sec there , this is impossible! first off if its ddr2 memory it takes max a couple hours to clear the memory starting from ddr3

the memory is cleared as soon as the pc is shutdown , you can google it if you think im making up stuff about access-mdbs bsod , it couldve been a mirriad of options causing the bsod , a faulty usb cable , faulty usb device , corrupt driver , unstable driver , even a faulty bit in a memory module or modules , in general a faulty hardware component , that can happen at random when proper sequence is hit , a bad OC, some audio cards with crappy 3rd party drivers are

known to cause bsods as well but from his diagnostics i derive these following possibilities >faulty usb device or faulty usb cable , a corrupt driver , updated to an unstable driver....and perhaps maybe a recent virus he received , that has been messing with system required files such as the registry or required .dlls, muis etc , not sure about your OS security practices so had to mention that one as is possible
    Last edited by classictech; 2015-02-26 at 17:16.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not making anything up either when I've said it has been known to happen but given the tech would have gone all through what you suggest and found no fault - what else would you suggest it was ?.

Thanks
    So RAM is non-volatile?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well first off i asume this so called "tech" isnt all that techy at all hence why he couldnt find the actual fault , this happens more than you think , not every tech out there puts in the actual effort to find the root cause instead of just "fixing" the pc and returning it to the customer , about the actual cause ive pointed to them in my previous post

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    So RAM is non-volatile?
    no , ram is and always has been volatile, if its consumer market based volatile ram chips we are talking about here , which every non enterprise ddr ram modules are , unless you have a battery that specifially is designed to keep the ram on power , ram will and always has been volatile starting from ddr which data can be read from after days , to ddr2 which data is still present after a couple hours , too ddr3 which is completely volatile , meaning as soon as the power is cut theres no data remaining , anybody telling you otherwise should reevaluate theyre test setup heres a little link for understanding http://blog.pluralsight.com/comptia-...m-types-of-ram
    Last edited by classictech; 2015-02-26 at 16:48.

Thanks
    classictech, when the tech booted the PC it worked. He did a number of tests (according to him) which all came up clear. When he brought it back it worked.

As far as your suggestions in #7, the only one we could think of as relevant was usb - i have a wireless keyboard and mouse, which uses usb and an external disk drive, which also uses usb. But you can't fix something when it works for you. And it's been working fine since I got the PC back.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well as said this is something the tech missed , that being , in order to be able to find the actual sytem fault you have to have the actual peripherals in use attached to the system to find its fault , meaning youd have to have a tech come by your place and test it out there in order to do a 100% troubleshoot, these tech services exist , its what you call an IT technician , they usually do what ive just mentioned just on a much greater scale aka fix enterprise servers having

issues , but for regular consumers theres a solution to this as well , either have an IT technician come by , which is expensive , or option 2 which is often preferred, if you have a neighbor/friend thats just semi-good with pcs hell gladly do it for a minimum fee , since they usually do it for the thrills of actual finding the issue instead of the money, and so youd know 100% what was the cause in the end , cause atm you dont know what actually caused the issue in the first place ,

thats not fixing in my eyes sorry "Now I had a working system I tried another MR image. Still no joy." what exactly do you mean by that statement , do you mean youve did a fresh install and then restored a MR image ? , then after restoring that MR image , your Pc still had Bsods? and once you brought your Pc to the tech guy whith that MR image still on the Storage Device the tech guy turned on the Pc and no Bsods? you see a proper elaboration goes a long way,

so please do so,or i and others cant understand what exactly happened and for future reference i suggest to write down the Bsod that happened including the Bsod code and the supposed offending component that caused it , all this info is on that nice blue screen of death that you get aka Bsod, this helps alot in being able to narrow down the offending fault/s
    Last edited by classictech; 2015-02-26 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Sorry classictech, I find your posts very hard to read as they are just one block of text.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    fixed , had js disabled