Thanks

Image restore question

I made (more than one) system images, using only the Win7 wizard. My computer is partitioned into C-drive and a storage drive. If I use the latest image to restore/refresh my computer, does the image restore the entire drive, or just the C drive? And, also, Iíve never done this before, so hints on how to start would be helpful. I trust you folks much more than I do wizards!

System is a Dell Inspiron 570, Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64 bit, 4 GB memory.

Lounger
    Thanks
    During the process to perform the system image, one of the windows shows which partitions you are imaging. In my case drive 0 has a C: , D: and G: letter drives plus a non letter Recovery partition. Drive C: and the Recovery partition are automatically selected but it does allow me to select the other two. I don't include them because I back them up using a different approach. So if I recover the image it would only do the C: drive.and the Recovery partition.

I would suggest there is lots of info on MS's web site (and elsewhere in the web) on how to do systems images and recover them.

My system image is saved to a separate physical drive (drive 1) so if drive 0 destroys itself, my image is safe. If you don't have have a separate physical drive (internal or external) then you should save the image to DVD's not to the same physical drive Win 7 is now on.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure I understood everything but ,.... I did use windows imaging process once and I mus say that I have numerous internal dives on which to store the image but what Windows did is to image TWO partitions one was the boot partition and the other was the system drive ; this led to an enormous image and worth nothing ; third party software do waht you want ; you can select the drive you want to image and when you restore some third party software are perfectly able to find the boot and fix it at start up including the correct letter ; why bother ? Windows just puts tools which are too elementary ; it is impossible to mount a windows image , impossible to select what to restore aso .....of course third partu software are usully not free but you get so much more !!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks for the information and advice. It's almost a moot point now because I've worked out most of the problems I had that made me want to do this. I'll file away the advice for future reference and hope I don't really need it.