New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving a live DHCP server

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 which has a DC and a DHCP server on it. I am gonna decomission this server and put the DHCP server on a new DC with Wndows Server 2012 R2.

My question is how I am going to move the DHCP Server to the new one without any downtime possible?

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can stop DHCP for a few hours without any issues as long as all the machines have been assigned an address. The machines will retain their settings without a DHCP server.

All you need to do is install DHCP server on the new box, backup the scope and restore it on the new box and authorise it, then turn off DHCP on the old box and turn it on on the new one. Don't forget to un-authorise the old box.

It's a good backup strategy to run a scheduled DHCP export to a location off the DHCP server in case you need to recovery from a server crash.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.

Will the machines still retain their settings if they take an IP from a reservation?

Regards.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DHCP clients are not told what sort of address they have been assigned, so reserved addresses are the same as non-reserved as far as the client is concerned.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joswoody View Post
    I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 which has a DC and a DHCP server on it. I am gonna decomission this server and put the DHCP server on a new DC with Wndows Server 2012 R2.

My question is how I am going to move the DHCP Server to the new one without any downtime possible?

Thanks.
    I just finished doing this. Backing up and restoring the DHCP Db does NOT restore reservations.. and really all that matters are the reservations.
    I used this resource to restore them to the new server. Worked wonderfully,
    http://joomla-and-more.com/2010/02/1...tween-servers/
    Remember to create the txt file form the original server, not the new server.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you do it across server versions? The DHCP database format changed post server 2003.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Did you do it across server versions? The DHCP database format changed post server 2003.

cheers, Paul
    Yes, I went from a 2003 server to a 2012 server