Star Lounger
    Thanks

8.1 security patches not mentioned in Susan Bradleys article

Hi. I have read Susan Bradleys latest patch article a couple of times now. I have two security patches for 8.1 x 64 based system KB 3013455 and KB3023562 that I don't see in her article or her saying to install " all " security patches. Am new at this so maybe it is standard practise to install all security patches ?
    Thanks Pat drdoo2

Thanks
    All security patches should be installed to maintain the security of your OS. The clue is in the name. Some people like to wait for a few days in case a patch breaks something and they can dodge the bullet. Not infrequently, patches are issued without prior warning, sometimes to repair previously released patches that have caused problems, sometimes to address dangerous security flaws that cant wait for the scheduled Patch Tuesday releases.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/288...rver-2003.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=45614
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-02-25 at 06:23.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

8.1 security patches

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    All security patches should be installed to maintain the security of your OS. The clue is in the name. Some people like to wait for a few days in case a patch breaks something and they can dodge the bullet. Not infrequently, patches are issued without prior warning, sometimes to repair previously released patches that have caused problems, sometimes to address dangerous security flaws that cant wait for the scheduled Patch Tuesday releases.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/288...rver-2003.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=45614

Thanks for ur info.
    Pat

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You must have missed it twice. They are mentioned in the last Patch Watch, dated 12/02/15 under the heading ‘Attacking the kernel via True type fonts’. As they are kernel patches, which often go wrong, she suggested delaying for a couple of weeks – I have yet to install them.

Have just taken a brief look at today’s PW, there are still problems with both, though it seems to effect only servers. After reading the piece thoroughly, will probably install them now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    no I didn't miss that. but failed to mention that in my post. Why would she refer to them as kernals??? They are not kernal as far as I know when she talks of kernals she is refering to ur ordinary update from microsoft that starts with the word " Update" not a Security patch. They are listed as security patches on my PC and my confusion is that she refers to them as kernals. If those two Security patches are " Kernals as she states then why aren't the other 4 Security patches I recieved and she said to install refered to as kernals. Seems like she made a mistake is what I thought or at the very least she is confusing.
    Pat

Thanks
    kernel updates can be security patches. I am thinking we are all missing the the Patch Watch list page which we lost mid summer. I complained about it not listing sub patches directly as KBs now nada!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.