Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts

    Thumbs up After Time w/ Windows 10

    I'm not a big fan of comparisons... things differ & it transcends subjective good or bad. And, though it's the idea, what is next may or may not be better than what was before. That said...


    

    I have lived through a few Windows OSs. Each having peculiarities and pros & cons, some things that endured, some that didn't. The last had lots of peculiarities.

    After some time w/ Windows 10, about 5 months, I'll share my feelings and impressions in terms of using it on a daily basis. Some talk of UI. I'd rather talk of mechanics, meaning procedures involved w/ maneuvering and manipulating things, accessing things. It somewhere between kewl & important to have things efficient, simple, easy, neatly organised, clean-n-tidy and direct, handy paths. This leads to good productivity and a pleasant experience which, is the desired goal.

    I have had time to explore, discover & learn Windows 10. More than enough time to see a few things and arrange a few things accordingly and appreciate the finesse it offers. The beauty of 'less is more'. This is so very refreshing following the silliness of 8.1 The ease of using Windows 10 is a comfort. And the fact that it can be done w/out any complexity... w/ so little clutter of icons, w/out digging or flitting all over the place, w/out lots of effort or mousing or clicking or swiping. Things @ your fingertips and takes little or nothing to achieve. And all this derived from the OS completely, natively.

    It is just so straight-forward, it makes using a computer enjoyable, no struggle or stress. Windows 10 is technically good & Feature packed but, what makes it shine is to have all that and (yet) have a very purposeful, concise, set-up offer much power but, also, great ease of use. It's refreshing and easy. Productive & pleasant.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    thO622AIFO.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-02-25 at 06:15.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    You mean you now think Windows 10 is even better than you thought Windows 8 was, when it came out?!
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stockbridge,VT
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Amazing isn't it.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    I'll wait for the product release then make it do things my way like I've done with every other version of Windows.

    I much prefer to teach the OS how I do things rather than learn how the OS wants to do things. Not that my ways are better but I don't intend to throw away 20 or so years of fine-tuning my systems to suit my way of doing things.

    Some folks don't just want socks in their underwear drawer.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-02-25 at 19:33. Reason: deleted extraneous commas
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    Some folks don't just want socks in their underwear drawer.
    Good one bbearren

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger RussB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
    Its those rose colored glasses.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

  7. #7
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Its those rose colored glasses.
    Actually, no, for myself, no it's no. On the other hand, cynicism can blind one, too.

    This is, also, about the Windows 10 Platform... not about me.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Global Win10 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of comparisons... things differ & it transcends subjective good or bad. And, though it's the idea, what is next may or may not be better than what was before. That said...


    

    I have lived through a few Windows OSs. Each having peculiarities and pros & cons, some things that endured, some that didn't. The last had lots of peculiarities.

    After some time w/ Windows 10, about 5 months, I'll share my feelings and impressions in terms of using it on a daily basis. Some talk of UI. I'd rather talk of mechanics, meaning procedures involved w/ maneuvering and manipulating things, accessing things. It somewhere between kewl & important to have things efficient, simple, easy, neatly organised, clean-n-tidy and direct, handy paths. This leads to good productivity and a pleasant experience which, is the desired goal.

    I have had time to explore, discover & learn Windows 10. More than enough time to see a few things and arrange a few things accordingly and appreciate the finesse it offers. The beauty of 'less is more'. This is so very refreshing following the silliness of 8.1 The ease of using Windows 10 is a comfort. And the fact that it can be done w/out any complexity... w/ so little clutter of icons, w/out digging or flitting all over the place, w/out lots of effort or mousing or clicking or swiping. Things @ your fingertips and takes little or nothing to achieve. And all this derived from the OS completely, natively.

    It is just so straight-forward, it makes using a computer enjoyable, no struggle or stress. Windows 10 is technically good & Feature packed but, what makes it shine is to have all that and (yet) have a very purposeful, concise, set-up offer much power but, also, great ease of use. It's refreshing and easy. Productive & pleasant.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    thO622AIFO.jpg

    Prior to the release of Win7, users had the ability to disable file auto arrange and randomly set the order of files via drag and drop within a folder. The user could close the folder and when that folder was reopened, those files would be in the same order as when it was closed. Do you know if Win10 will restore that feature?

  9. #9
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Lenci View Post
    Prior to the release of Win7, users had the ability to disable file auto arrange and randomly set the order of files via drag and drop within a folder. The user could close the folder and when that folder was reopened, those files would be in the same order as when it was closed. Do you know if Win10 will restore that feature?
    Stan,

    This hasn't been a personal concern for me; off the top of my head, right now, have to admit, not sure, not aware.. Not wanting to misspeak, I will try to look into it for you asap. In the meantime, maybe, someone else will have the answer for you. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41984

  10. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Stan,

    This hasn't been a personal concern for me; off the top of my head, right now, have to admit, not sure, not aware.. Not wanting to misspeak, I will try to look into it for you asap. In the meantime, maybe, someone else will have the answer for you. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41984
    Thanks Drew. I appreciate your efforts to find out.

    This issue is a personal concern to me, and I've read others too, especially those of us who manipulate jpg files. To explain the significance of this lost ability, I used this feature to place jpg files with different names or dates in any random order I wish within a folder and then do a select all-rename process that ultimately leads to a sequence of filenames depicting that random order, i.e. pic1.jpg, pic2.jpg, pic3.jpg, etc.. This works great for slideshow programs as I could then take random jpg files, create a new filenames and have them display in that filename order. Best part, if I didn't finish this rename process in one session, I had no fear that I could close the folder then come back later to that folder and continue as the random order was maintained. Now, I can't even randomly arrange these files at all. I'm limited to the window's standard sort of name, date, etc.

    Hope you discover Win10 reinstated this feature. If not, I understand Microsoft is "listening" to Beta testers more than ever. Is there a way to get a request to them to consider reinstating this feature?
    Stan
    Last edited by Stan Lenci; 2015-03-06 at 11:10.

  11. #11
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    the silliness of 8.1
    All right, what have you done with Drew?

  12. #12
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    the silliness of 8.1
    All right, what have you done with Drew?
    Now that you mention it, there are other clues:

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of comparisons...
    (All in fun, Drew; all in fun)
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

    mrjimphelps (2015-03-06)

  14. #13
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Interesting thing, normal running has the Search the web and Windows box on the Taskbar dimmed but clicking the Start button pops its menu and also activates the Search box with the cursor in it ready to type. I could get by very nicely having one or the other. Clicking in the Search when dimmed pops up Cortana.

  15. #14
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Can use the Feedback APP or the Windows Suggestion Box

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41988

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •