5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lingering issues for two Windows kernel patches

PATCH WATCH

Lingering issues for two Windows kernel patches

By Susan Bradley

We see fewer and fewer updates appearing on the unofficial, fourth-week Patch Tuesday. But we need that time to clean up patch issues from the official Patch Tuesday. As has become typical, February saw several troublesome patches. But Microsoft seems to be jumping on them more quickly.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/lingering-issues-for-two-windows-kernel-patches/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-02-25 at 18:52.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice on these updates Susan, but I still can't see any mention by you of an update offered earlier in the month relating to Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package, (KB3032622).

Any advice on this one please?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Talk about lingering issues

re: KB2919355. I have a new Win8.1 machine and this update wouldn't go in. error 80070002

I tried downloading the update manually but that also failed.
    I then tried WinUpdate Diagnostics, which would repair 2-3 issues each time.
    I tried with my AV off.
    Finally, I checked old WinSecrets newsletters and found your discussion of the issue.
    I ran SFC and it found and fixed something amiss but the sfcdetails command created an empty text file so I'm not sure what.
    But after this and the WinUpdate fix I tried again and it did install. Reboot to finish and I now have 69 Updates that have been blocked!! Sheesh

But thanks for the detailed fix article.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Thanks for the advice on these updates Susan, but I still can't see any mention by you of an update offered earlier in the month relating to Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package, (KB3032622).

Any advice on this one please?
    I never wrote about it because I never saw it offered up on my machines, nor on a list of expected updates. It's near impossible to find any master list of expected updates.

I haven't seen reports of issues, so I'd say it's okay to install.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-02-27)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    Talk about lingering issues

re: KB2919355.

I ran SFC and it found and fixed something amiss but the sfcdetails command created an empty text file so I'm not sure what.
    But after this and the WinUpdate fix I tried again and it did install. Reboot to finish and I now have 69 Updates that have been blocked!! Sheesh

But thanks for the detailed fix article.
    One should allways use: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    in conjunction with: SFC /scannonw
    on W 8.n.u PCs. Reversing order may overcome some correction of corruption errors. For example SFC may fix some errors but fail on others. DISM may repair those and others. Run SFC again and it may run clean. Run this alternating type of circle several times interspersed with Restarts and/or Shutdowns which also do repairs. Shutdowns may repair deep issues. Don't give up easily, even though W 8.1 is allot better, Windows and Apps can really corrupt things at times.

KB2919355 maybe offered several more times PARTIALLY in the low MB's to also correct problems. I have had it offered about 10-15 times since I installed.

Crysta

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Windows Secrets’ master Patch Watch chart

Thank You Susan,

For updating Windows Secrets’ master Patch Watch chart

I am sure many will appreciate your efforts, especially with all the pitfalls and roadblocks MICROSOFT is actively throwing at you and others who are trying to make it and keep it real for those of us who care.

Best Regards,

Crysta

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I never wrote about it because I never saw it offered up on my machines, nor on a list of expected updates. It's near impossible to find any master list of expected updates.

I haven't seen reports of issues, so I'd say it's okay to install.
    Thanks Susan. I installed it on both my machines (both desktops, one work-related with Office installed, the other a purely gaming rig) today without any apparent issues.