2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to cope with (necessary) bloatware?

By the time I install necessary applications on my Win 8.1 64-bit laptop, a host of run-all-the-time executables appear in Process Explorer. For example, even when the apps aren't running,

1. My subscription to Adobe Acrobat results in acrotray.exe and amsvc.exe running all the time
    2. Office365 has csisynclient.exe, officeclicktorun.exe, SettingSyncHost.exe, SkyDrive.exe all the time
    3. Dragon Naturally Speaking has dgnsvc.exe, loggerservice.exe all the time
    4. There is the anonymous SoftwareUpdate.exe, which I'm going to see if it's malware
    5. Internet Download Manager has IDMIntegrator64.exe and IEMonitor all the time (I don't use IE and don't have IDM configured on IE, and rarely download)
    6. Some stupid program recently installed mDNSResponder.exe described as "Bonjour Service" and I don't have iTunes installed
    7. I don't want to install QuickBooks 2012 because on my previous machine it baked in three sluggish executables, including one that appeared to be QuickBooks itself
    8. There is the ubiquitous SearchIndexer.exe from Microsoft, so useless I purchased X1, which has two executables permanently going
    9. There are a raft of HP executables that came with the laptop
    10. This is in addition to the apps needed by Windows Defender.

Even without iTunes and QB installed, all this is slowing down my new i5-4210U 1.70GHz 2.40GHz, 12GB RAM machine. I know at least some of these can be removed from autostarting, but many of them come back anyway. Is there a better way to manage these? Perhaps set up different usernames and install certain apps only for a particular username, possibly useful to the extent executables won't be across all users?

Most frustrating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Auggie,

Here are some free apps to help solve the problem:

PC De-Crapifier

SysInternals AutoRuns

CCleaner

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The first thing to do is to open:
    Control Panel > Programs and Features

and uninstall everything you don't use. If there is a program that you don't understand, do a Google/Bing search on to see if you can find identifying information about it.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    These are some other tools you could try to vet your Startup programs https://www.raymond.cc/blog/remove-u...indows-faster/

StartupLite used to be good but don't know if it still works or will work in Win 8.1 as its database hasn't been maintained, but RG has already suggested some decent tools.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, folks, but maybe I wasn't clear. I know how to decrapify and clean out start-ups, and I run Glary and CCleaner at least four times a week. My concern is the necessary garbage that all these apps seem to require in order to work correctly, like the Acrobat and the Office365 and the QuickBooks stuff I mentioned. Is there some way to manage it so there's not so much overhead sapping the cycles? Maybe set up a username to work only with QuickBooks and every other non-related executable is turned off, including Windows Defender? Then another username for working exclusively with Dragon (processor intensive)? Still another to go online? Or is the answer simply to give up on Windows?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Most programs can be booted on demand without the need to be in the Startup menu - perform a clean boot then see what works and what doesn't when you boot them up and it isn't a good idea to disable Windows Defender if that's what you are using as your AV.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Thanks
    Autoruns will allow you to disable unwanted programs which run at boot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/autoruns/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Thanks, folks, but maybe I wasn't clear. I know how to decrapify and clean out start-ups, and I run Glary and CCleaner at least four times a week. My concern is the necessary garbage that all these apps seem to require in order to work correctly, like the Acrobat and the Office365 and the QuickBooks stuff I mentioned. Is there some way to manage it so there's not so much overhead sapping the cycles? Maybe set up a username to work only with QuickBooks and every other non-related executable is turned off, including Windows Defender? Then another username for working exclusively with Dragon (processor intensive)? Still another to go online? Or is the answer simply to give up on Windows?
    Many of those Services can be set to "Manual" instead of "Auto" Start, then at least they will not start-up until you run the app they come with. They generally will not shut down though when you close the host app until you re-boot.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes

dont use win 8 or ten

that is the new mode of operations for pcs
    they are now social media tablets that keep you connected and updated to everyting

if you dont need it then delete it
    if you really do need it then learn to live with it

i still use xp so not an 81 expert

*IF* you can get to task manager in 81
    you might be able to right click on the problems
    then click on priority and make them as low as possible

Thanks
    By the time I install necessary applications on my Win 8.1 64-bit laptop, a host of run-all-the-time executables appear in Process Explorer. For example, even when the apps aren't running,

1. My subscription to Adobe Acrobat results in acrotray.exe and amsvc.exe running all the time
    2. Office365 has csisynclient.exe, officeclicktorun.exe, SettingSyncHost.exe, SkyDrive.exe all the time
    3. Dragon Naturally Speaking has dgnsvc.exe, loggerservice.exe all the time
    4. There is the anonymous SoftwareUpdate.exe, which I'm going to see if it's malware
    5. Internet Download Manager has IDMIntegrator64.exe and IEMonitor all the time (I don't use IE and don't have IDM configured on IE, and rarely download)
    6. Some stupid program recently installed mDNSResponder.exe described as "Bonjour Service" and I don't have iTunes installed
    7. I don't want to install QuickBooks 2012 because on my previous machine it baked in three sluggish executables, including one that appeared to be QuickBooks itself
    8. There is the ubiquitous SearchIndexer.exe from Microsoft, so useless I purchased X1, which has two executables permanently going
    9. There are a raft of HP executables that came with the laptop
    10. This is in addition to the apps needed by Windows Defender.

Even without iTunes and QB installed, all this is slowing down my new i5-4210U 1.70GHz 2.40GHz, 12GB RAM machine. I know at least some of these can be removed from autostarting, but many of them come back anyway. Is there a better way to manage these? Perhaps set up different usernames and install certain apps only for a particular username, possibly useful to the extent executables won't be across all users?

Most frustrating.

Sounds to me like you need to start getting your act together and start paying closer attention to your installs;

There are a raft of HP executables that came with the laptop
    Start getting rid of most of these, you do NOT need MOST of them.
    The only thing you need from HP is the recovery partition. Update drivers yourself, manually.
    Go through your HP software and make a determination of what you need and don't.
    If HP offers an image backup program, go through it and make sure your not on some kind of schedule.

I am in no doubt that when you purchase an HP computer it'll be full up long before you install anything.

My subscription to Adobe Acrobat results in acrotray.exe and amsvc.exe running all the time
    You do not NEED anything of Adobe sitting in the tray area.
    "My subscription to Adobe Acrobat" doesn't tell me anything about how/what you are actually using it for.

There is the anonymous SoftwareUpdate.exe, which I'm going to see if it's malware
    Strong evidence imo that you are not paying as close attention to your installs as you should be.
    There should be no updates for any software, even legitimate ones, all updates should be handled manually.
    Disable the services, if any, then use Autoruns to remove them from "scheduled tasks".

Internet Download Manager has IDMIntegrator64.exe and IEMonitor all the time (I don't use IE and don't have IDM configured on IE, and rarely download)
    I actually use IE extensively and can't find any reference on my machine to either of these. This is NOT a Windows process, it is shareware. Remove it.

There is the ubiquitous SearchIndexer.exe from Microsoft, so useless I purchased X1, which has two executables permanently going
    Disable Windows Search in the services section.

This is in addition to the apps needed by Windows Defender.
    I'm not aware of any other apps specifically needed by Windows Defender, you'll need to clarify.

Office365 has csisynclient.exe, officeclicktorun.exe, SettingSyncHost.exe, SkyDrive.exe all the time
    Disable or remove services you are not using.
    Only install specific aspects of Office that you are going to need.

Dragon Naturally Speaking has dgnsvc.exe, loggerservice.exe all the time
    disable or remove services you are not using.

I apologize for being overly assertive, but this just seems to me like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    If you KNOW how to decrapify a PC, then you should also know how to determine what you need from what you don't and curtail those running processes you don't need.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-03-07 at 09:37.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    ...Internet Download Manager has IDMIntegrator64.exe and IEMonitor all the time (I don't use IE and don't have IDM configured on IE, and rarely download)...
    When I googled:

"Internet Download Manager" malware

(with the quotes & malware outside the quotes) just now Google returned "About 525,000 results (0.33 seconds)". this Malwarebytes forum page headed the list.

I don't think I need say any more about "Internet Download Manager".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.