Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

unwarranted gb loss

This is my second thread concerning lost gb of free space on my hard drive. I received replies from some of the other loungers that were somewhat helpful but at this time I still have not resolved the issue. I purchased my pc (Lenovo desktop K300 w/windows home premium) approx 4+ years ago. It has performed well for the most part. Up until the last 2-3 months the only time I've ever noticed any gb being consumed is when I've downloaded something. Ex:a program, music, pictures etc. I do manual back-ups and don't use Windows back-up. There are 2 other user accounts. However, over the last few months, more specifically since Jan 2015, I've seen seen over 150gb of free hard drive space disappear for no apparent reason. I've not downloaded anything to speak of nor have the other users at least nothing that would warrant this kind of gb loss. Anywhere from 2-15 gb per day are being consumed. At times I'll log on for a few minutes then log off and notice that 5- 15 gb have been consumed. I've used Ccleaner and Malwarebytes on each user account and did regain some of the lost space only to quickly lose that same space within a couple days. I've done chkdsk,defrag. I've taken the pc to Staples and had them check it out. All they could say other than the pc had no viruses and was working properly that it could be updates that was consuming the space. I find it hard to believe that updates could be taking up so much space especially in a months time. I don't do a lot of web surfing but do occasionally use the net for info. I use FB but not on a regular basis. I have a couple of email accounts but clear them regularly. Like I said above prior to the last few months I've never seen the HD lose gb like it has recently. I'm looking for any info and/or help that can aid me in solving this problem. I'd like to know specifically what it is that is consuming the free space if that is possible. I've tried things like Spacesniffer etc. but they don't tell me what is taking the space at specific time so it's difficult to see where the gb are actually being consumed at any given moment.(as far as I can tell that is) At the start of Jan. 2015 the HD showed 695gb free of 906gb as of Feb. 23, 2015 it showed 550gb free of 906gb a 145gb difference. That doesn't show the 55gb that I regained using Ccleaner. So I've actually lost closer to 200gb over the last 2 months. Sorry for going on so long but I thought the info might be helpful. Any help would be appreciated but please not too technical. Thanks

Thanks
    Please use paragraphs when posting, that is just a wall of text and very hard to read.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Spacesniffer is designed to show you the largest consumers, not to monitor real time writes. All you can really do is list the folders in space size and work out what files are the biggest consumers. You could post a screen shot of the biggest consumers and we will advise.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Another program which will show how much space is used in total by files in folders is TreeSize Free. You can drill down to see how much space individual files use.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    https://www.winhelp.us/configure-sys...n-windows.htmlCheck your system restore settings. Here is a good article on configuring it. Ccleaner will also show you how many restore points you have and allow you to delete some or all but the latest of them.
    Last edited by ldb; 2015-02-27 at 16:21.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I do apologize for not using paragraphs and do see your point. I will, in the future, use paragraphs. I've also tried system restore points to try and gain some lost space but it seems i'll lose to much in the way of updates and installed programs.
    Last edited by The Mull; 2015-02-26 at 18:22.

Thanks
    As I suggested in your previous post, try Nir Sofer's FoldersReport and point it the hard disk root, i.e. C:. It will show you the current size of files/folders and let you sort on size.

To see what's actually changing, try Nir Sofer's FolderChangesView. It will show you immediately what files are changing, i.e. being created or growing in size.

They are both free, small, portable apps so no need to install.

To get control over System Restore points (i.e. to be able to delete individual older restore points), try Nic Bedford's System Restore Explorer.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you have a loss of space like that, it tends to be Volume Shadow Copies and using Extended Disk Cleanup will allow you to remove them.

Although I've never used this mode, I think it will give you the option to also clean out obsolete Windows Updates as it would when you run Disk Cleanup normally then by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-extended.html

It'll probably be worth running a Defrag after as well.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-26 at 18:50.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It'll probably be worth running a Defrag after as well.
    Defrag will not recover space - just in case someone thinks you have implied this may occur.

I don't think it's ever worth running defrag on W7 or higher, Windows does a perfectly good job.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Defrag will not recover space - just in case someone thinks you have implied this may occur.

I don't think it's ever worth running defrag on W7 or higher, Windows does a perfectly good job.

cheers, Paul
    When several GBs have been deleted that's going to leave fragmentation just as it would be when programs are uninstalled.

Desktops may be left on 24/7 but laptops aren't normally for the default 3.00am auto defrag setting and I have the schedule turned off and as I can't assume what settings others have, after deleting/uninstalling a large amount of GBs I would advise a defrag and as you will know, will also aid VM - but I take your point.

Thanks
    I don't leave my PC on overnight and both my Windows 7 desktop and Windows 8.1 laptop stay defragged using the default schedule. While an immediate defrag won't hurt, I don't believe its necessary. I'm not sure but I believe if Windows misses its scheduled defrag, it will do it during idle time.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Norton 360 optimizes mine during the rare idle times and I've had the odd pop up to say that it does need Optimizing and then finds it doesn't - 'cos I've already done it

I do a defrag once a month prior to creating a system image and have found it can be between 1 and 4% Fragmented.

I think Norton takes over the scheduling as when I sometimes go to defrag I get a prompt that I have to disable some responsibility.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-27 at 11:55.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is just an outside chance, but do you have Google Earth loaded? A year ago I had Google Earth and for some reason it just started to download and download and download a variety of files it uses until my drive got filled up. I did the same thing; CCLeaner got some space back only to have it fill up again. Ran A/V tests and nothing, but as BATcher said I used TreeSize and that's how I found it to be Google Earth. It was only two or three versions ago so it was recent; at least for me. Moms laptop, same thing which had that same version. The next update fixed that though.

Again, just adding this just in case.
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 6700][Asus Maximus VIII Hero][8GB G.Skill memory][Asus GTX 980Ti Strix][1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro][850W Seasonic PSU][Antec 900][Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit][2 x Asus PG278Q]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

Thanks
    System Restore Manager [Windows Club or Bleeping Computer source? forgot which].This utility will list the SRPs from oldest to recent. One can delete older SRPs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    System Restore Manager [Windows Club or Bleeping Computer source? forgot which].This utility will list the SRPs from oldest to recent. One can delete older SRPs.
    Sorry but... System Restore Manager (it's on Windows Club) appears to have a number of issues. The last comment (a month ago) is currently "A great idea, but very flawed product. Won't recognize my Restore Points ...even when created by this app !".
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-02-27 at 17:55.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast