Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Search (box) on/from the Taskbar

Windows 10 offers a Search box on the Taskbar. Obviously, this means one can type what they seek in said box. Mind that is w/out having to key anything or open anything (Start menu or Search 'window'). Anyway, this suddenly reminded me of something I used to give my clients... it put a search ability, a box, on the Taskbar and allowed Search Computer or the Web from there. And, I would say, "Look how handy & cool this is... right from there." And they loved it... now, it's embedded... imagine that... go figure, eh?

One thing in 8.1 is typing anywhere on the Start or Applications screens to search. Well, w/out those, in Windows 10, now, one can just begin typing but, NOW, right @ the Taskbar w/out having to change screens! Kinda makes things easy. After a few months w/ Windows 10, have decided its middle name should be Easy.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41871

Thanks
    It doesn't work if you have the taskbar set to autohide though!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    It doesn't work if you have the taskbar set to autohide though!
    My Taskbar is always on Auto hide and yes it does. Touch the Taskbar to appear & there's the Search box on the Taskbar... type away in it

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41874

Thanks
    Well, when autohide is enabled on my PC this is the search box which you can't type anything into

Screenshot (10).png

Banned Member
    Thanks
    (Wish I hadn't forgotten your name, sorry)

Here are 2 pictures; 1 w/out the Start menu & 1 w/ it. The Taskbar is on Auto hide. Bottom row of icons is Links (Favorites Bar)

Screenshot (2).JPG Screenshot (3).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-02-26 at 06:30.

Thanks
    Couple of differences though Drew.

I'm not using a hacked start menu and am in the UK where Cortana is not available yet (well not in UK English)

As this is still beta software I tend to use it "as is" simply because registry hacks may be unpredictable and goodness knows what a Windows update may do to them let alone a new build!

Cheers,
    Ian

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Couple of differences though Drew.

I'm not using a hacked start menu and am in the UK where Cortana is not available yet (well not in UK English)

As this is still beta software I tend to use it "as is" simply because registry hacks may be unpredictable and goodness knows what a Windows update may do to them let alone a new build!

Cheers,
    Ian
    Oh, geeez, Ian, my memory was right, after all... I thought I remembered it to be Ian... shouldn't doubt myself, I guess.

Anyway:
    1. Cortana is, also, not available in Canada so, that part is a moot point.
    2. Here is a picture w/ the Build 9926 Start menu and the Taskbar, still, on Auto hide.
    3. I just don't like the 9926 Start menu. We are expecting a different one in the next Build. I will put Build 9926 to its own Start menu when it comes time to move to the next, new Build.... and we see what we have then. I agree w/ the test 'as is' idea. I did, initially, test the Build 9926 Start menu... didn't like it. So will live w/ the 'old' start menu for now.

As you can see, even w/ the 9926 Start menu & Auto hide what the results are.

Screenshot (4).JPG

And another showing Taskbar Search open (no Cortana)

Screenshot (5).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 41883

Thanks
    It's not just me!

Screenshot (11).png

Thanks
    Indeed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows