New Lounger
    Thanks

2015 Feb MS patches appear to have change my smallest display font.

After applying 2015, Feb MS updates, my smallest display fonts seem to be noticeably smaller in both size and spacing. Because of existing vision problems, in January I was able to change to a new Win7 notebook with a higher resolution display, and while the Secunia PSI that I run once a month or so and the Skype list of contacts were small, they were still readable to me before the updates. My wife's older Win7 Toshiba with MS Office 2010 does not have this problem. My newer Toshiba with Office 2013 does. I've made an adjustment in the "control panel, fonts, change font size, set custom text size (DPI)" setting to increase the spacing plus changes to my Chrome browser to try and get a more readable screen, but even when optimized this way, it bothers my eyes a lot. Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea as to which updates may have caused this change?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like the problem reported with KB3013455. It's explained, along with the MS Support solution, in yesterday's Patch Watch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

JKWillie (2015-02-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You for the response. I normally do check Patch Watch and I hid KB3013455 and 3023562 initially so they are not the problem here.

Thanks
    Have a look at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why you are suggesting that? As I indicated originally, I went to that area and adjusted the font DPI to compensate after the size and spacing appeared smaller. I originally had the screen size set to the default 125% [and it still says that].

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JKWillie View Post
    ...I originally had the screen size set to the default 125% [and it still says that]...
    The default is 100%, not 125%.

There is also the "Magnifier" tool (linked in the "Display" dialog, or go to Start\All Programs\Accessories\Ease of Access).
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not trying to argue with you, but my Toshiba shows the medium 125% resolution as the default on it's display page. It may be because it has the high resolution led display that they caption it and set it that way since on this display the 100% resolution is truly quite small. If you give me an email address I will make an acrobat copy of the display screen options and send it to you in an email so that you can see it for yourself? I also already have the magnifier pinned to the task bar and can use it for specific areas of the screen.
    I worked in the electronics and pc areas for the military as an instructor and as a tech rep on government contracts and from the early days of pc.s till I retired from a government computer job after working with computers & pc.s for 30 years. I appreciate your trying to help me, & goodness knows, neither I nor anyone else can be all knowing about computers and programming languages with all the diversity in the field today, but as I said originally, something appears to have changed my smallest font to a smaller size or replaced it with a smaller font. I truly appreciate and thank you for your suggestions, but the problem I have is exactly what I stated initially and not that I don't understand the basic display options.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To post a screen shot:
    1. Open Snipping Tool, under Accessories.
    2. Take the screen shot.
    3. Save as PNG.
    4. Reply to a thread and click the "Insert Image" icon, 3rd from the right.
    5. Browse to and select your PNG file.
    6. Click on "Upload File(s)".
    7. Post.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    ...my Toshiba shows the medium 125% resolution as the default on it's display page...
    I am not trying to pick an argument with you. In the "Display" dialog on this Win7Pro PC 100% is default. Have checked one of my workbench desktops (Win7HP) and my Toshiba P300 laptop (Win7HP) and they also list 100% as default.

Display.jpg

Quite a few times I have been asked for help by customers with sight problems; I cannot remember ever seeing anything but 100% as default in Win7's display settings. But that's computers - always something different.

...neither I nor anyone else can be all knowing about computers and programming languages...
    You are so right about that. I am 64yo, and have experience with computers since 1988 (including a bachelor's degree in Information Systems).

I mentioned the magnifier tool in my #6 post because it might help you get by until it becomes clearer what has caused the font problem you're having.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    have experience with computers since 1988
    Latecomer!

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your responses. I truly am gratefull for your help.
    My higher res screen is set to display at the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 [see attached png.s]
    Toshiba says the HDMI jack output is "4K" but I can't use an external monitor.
    The display option is the "default" 125 % for this particular notebook. [see attached png.s]
    I have also attached an image of the upper corner of the Secunia PSI program where you can get an idea of how small the display is for
    some items. Originally, it didn't have have as much spacing between the display columns as it does now because the program display font was about 40% bigger.

Thanks
    ...Toshiba says the HDMI jack output is "4K" but I can't use an external monitor.
    The display option is the "default" 125 % for this particular notebook...
    It might be worthwhile to check for a newer display driver (look up your laptop's model number on Toshiba's Support website).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

JKWillie (2015-03-01)