New Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen in windows live mail 2012

For some weeks I have been getting a black screen with one white pixel in the middle, when I click on links in some emails. The tab reads GIF(1x1pixel). It is not a 'dead pixel' as it also happens on other monitors I have tried.
    It seems to affect random emails sent by well established sources like The Guardian newspaper, and Medicinenet. If I go to the guardian site and click on the same story headline there is no problem, which seems to indicate that the problem is with the email client. Have tried several sites and tried all their suggestions without success. I have been using Windows Live Mail for several years prior, without any major problems.
    Am going to try a clean Windows 7 reinstall as a last resort, but before I do I thought I would give it a last try on this site!.
    PS. Not sure if it is any help, but I get the same result on my Samsung Galaxy smart 'phone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerothefiddler View Post
    For some weeks I have been getting a black screen with one white pixel in the middle, when I click on links in some emails. The tab reads GIF(1x1pixel)...
    Bad links. Web programmers very often use 1x1pixel GIF images when defining "blank" areas to be displayed on webpages; they then specify "width", "height", etc attributes to the GIF. Sounds like whoever authoured those emails copied the wrong links.

...PS. Not sure if it is any help, but I get the same result on my Samsung Galaxy smart 'phone.
    That tends to confirm what I have stated above. Re-installing your OS is very unlikely to solve the problem. Better to complain to the senders, because the problem is on their side.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, thanks for your reply.

I had no difficulty opening links from the two senders prior to the last week or two.

If as you say its the senders fault, presumably everyone else would have the same problem.If this is so,would someone who subscribes to either of these sites,and receives emails from them, be kind enough to advise if they have the same problem.
    They are not the only two I have problems with, so could provide more if you think this would be a useful exercise.
    As I said in my original post,I did not have any problem in the past opening email links from these sites.

Thanks
    ...so could provide more if you think this would be a useful exercise...
    It would help if we can see the coding of some of the links. But best if you can post a text file.

Right-click the link then left-click on "Copy Shortcut" (IE) or "Copy Link Location" (FF) then paste the result into Notepad.

Two or three links should enough. Save the file somewhere then upload it in a new post to this thread.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.