Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Connectivity issues perhaps?

Hello again folks It's me, and if I'm here that means yet another problem. This time, though, I don't know if it's trouble with my PC or with my new cable modem. Recently I've been getting letters from Comcast informing me that my cable modem needed to be upgraded. I was reluctant as my modem seemed to be working fine. Then, about the beginning of this year, I started experiencing problems with my PC, which I assumed was related to issues mentioned in the warning letters. So I gave in and ordered a new modem, a Wireless Gateway. So I got faster Internet, the speed test was impressive, everything apparently connected and active according to Comcast but still trouble. Going from site to site, I keep running into "system not responding" warnings. Watching Youtube or Hulu I sometimes get pauses and frozen screens. I get "Firefox has encountered a problem", quite often. I get "flash has crashed" constantly so I have to reload. Oh, and "High disc usage" from my Norton. Now my PC is new, at least fairly new, much newer than my old one. It's a COMPAQ with Windows 7. Everything was hunky dory until a few months ago, and the new modem seems to have improved some things and kept others just as bad or made them worse. So, obviously I'm missing something. Trouble with the connections? Something to clean out from my computer? A hard drive issue? I don't want to talk to Comcast just yet. Any suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, I keep getting "unresponsive script" warnings. Grrrr!

Thanks
    First thing to check are your browser add ons. Corrupt or out of date add ons could easily be at the root of your problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tiger4,
    I get some of the same things you've described, but only occasionally. Most of the time things work okay for me on my 2012 super fast Win 7 64 bit computer. It is frustrating though when it happens and I don't know what's causing it. Sometimes an update here or there fixes things and everything is fine. Then other times an update will cause problems. It's just one of the many frustrating things about using a computer these days. Hopefully the more knowledgeable people here on this site will have the answer(s) to your question. I'd be interested in the answers too!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And now a message from Belkin: Your internet connection has failed. Please verify that your modem is on, connected to the router, and to the wall jack, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Trying to get on the Internet is getting more difficult. Something's wrong with the connection I think.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you able to re-connect the old modem to eliminate the new one as the problem?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The old modem had issues as well. Comcast mentioned that they were upping their speeds which is why they offered the new modem, free of charge. I waited until the old one began experiencing problems. Now I'm having problems with this one. I either connected it wrong or it's my inexperience with Wireless Gateways or something. It's frustrating having a new PC and modem acting like some old broken down one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Are you able to re-connect the old modem to eliminate the new one as the problem?

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to determine whether it is the modem or PC. Are you able to borrow another PC to test on your internet connection?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I could talk to Comcast and see what they have to say. I'm not used to Wireless Gateway. It's connected to my PC by an ethernet cable. Maybe there's something I have to turn on or off to make it work properly.

You need to determine whether it is the modem or PC. Are you able to borrow another PC to test on your internet connection?

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Unlikely there is something you have to do, apart from plug an ethernet cable in.
    Let us know what Comcast have to say.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll probably have to wait 'til Monday for that. Another weekend, at least, of this crap, unless there's a better suggestion/solution. I mean, I don't get it; everything looks fresh and new. The speed test didn't show any problems but . . . I don't know.

Unlikely there is something you have to do, apart from plug an ethernet cable in.
    Let us know what Comcast have to say.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your Wireless Gateway is the same as in the following article and applicable model, you can download the Quick Start Guide which should get you up and running. http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...less-gateway-1

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah it's the same thing. Comcast sent the model with the start guide and other instructions which I followed, or so I thought, but I may have missed something. I'm still having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If your Wireless Gateway is the same as in the following article and applicable model, you can download the Quick Start Guide which should get you up and running. http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...less-gateway-1

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does it connect and stay connected okay when you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

Have a read through the manual steps for resolving this in the main browsers - leave the download fixit button alone and don't go looking for any registry cleaners. http://allaboutregistry.blogspot.co....-error-in.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-28 at 19:08.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I haven't booted it up in Safe Mode yet. With this new PC (or at least newer than what I had) I have to figure it out. I could try it soon. I'll read the link, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Does it connect and stay connected okay when you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

Have a read through the manual steps for resolving this in the main browsers - leave the download fixit button alone and don't go looking for any registry cleaners. http://allaboutregistry.blogspot.co....-error-in.html

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast