Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Restoration does not work!

Does anybody got the same problem ? I can create restore points without a problem; when I want to restore , the restoration process starts , completes normally , then reboots ; and ........ suprise ! at reboot and opening sessionI ma told the restiauration process failed ; anybody understands that? I maus say that I have an antivirus installed to wit : Kaspersky Pure 3.0 ; is that program blocking the restore process ? Do I have to uninstall it prior restoration? It would be vey nice to get an indication .

Thanks
    System Restore Points are not a sure thing; sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Because I myself do not know why this is -- I rely on my partition backup images.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHAPAIEV View Post
    Does anybody got the same problem ? I can create restore points without a problem; when I want to restore , the restoration process starts , completes normally , then reboots ; and ........ suprise ! at reboot and opening sessionI ma told the restiauration process failed ; anybody understands that? I maus say that I have an antivirus installed to wit : Kaspersky Pure 3.0 ; is that program blocking the restore process ? Do I have to uninstall it prior restoration? It would be vey nice to get an indication .
    Calimanco has just explained in your other thread how to prevent your AV from blocking restore points by booting up into Safe Mode and perform the operation as your AV won't be loaded in that mode.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-27 at 10:53.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes , you are right ; very reactive forum! impressive

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well , I got the answer ; and by the way I know that restore points are not 100% sure but if restoration fails 100% of the time , then you have got to turn to some othe solution Calimanco gave the answer . By the way , is it possible that antivirus manufacturers take that enormous inconvenience in account ? Don't they KNOW?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think AV programs tend to object to restoring to an earlier date because it puts their Definitions out of date which can make your computer vulnerable.

Thanks
    SRPs can succeed within limited circumstances. It has helped some during the black screen - return to a previous working configuration once or twice a year.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think AV programs tend to object to restoring to an earlier date because it puts their Definitions out of date which can make your computer vulnerable.
    I seriously doubt that. One of the first things that would happen is that the definitions would be re downloaded just like all the missing Windows Updates due to the Restore operation.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka is right; that can't be the reason ; my guess is that there is the license problem which prevents going back anyway it is imposssible that programmers of Antivirus did noy know about that serious inconvenience; no idea why they did never adress the isssue

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    After I've done a restore in normal mode and I open Norton 360 I get a warning that my Definitions are out of date with a Fix Now button before I can do anything else with it - that's why I think AVs don't like going back, but that's just my opinion and I'm open to any other suggestions - if any ?

The Fix Now button usually results in Norton downloading the full database of Definitions and not just from the date restored to.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-27 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    After I've done a restore in normal mode and I open Norton 360 I get a warning that my Definitions are out of date with a Fix Now button before I can do anything else with it - that's why I think AVs don't like going back, but that's just my opinion and I'm open to any other suggestions - if any ?
    That's to be expected since System Restore moves the system files back in time. Its more likely that System Restore is triggering some of the Malware prevention algorithms of the AV since it is messing with system files. Most AV vendors work with Microsoft to prevent this from happening but a few AVs have more aggressive defenses.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    That's to be expected since System Restore moves the system files back in time. Its more likely that System Restore is triggering some of the Malware prevention algorithms of the AV since it is messing with system files. Most AV vendors work with Microsoft to prevent this from happening but a few AVs have more aggressive defenses.

Jerry
    Doesn't that tend to support my theory ? - although I've never had to do it in Safe Mode.

Thanks
    No. Its not getting the definitions out of date, Its System Restore triggering anti malware behavior defenses like making changes to the system locations in the registry. Most AVs will allow a System Restore without resorting to Safe Mode but they will trigger definition updates as well since you are moving back in time. You will also see several Windows Updates at the same time depending on how far back you go.

By the way, you can do other things while the AV definitions are being updated via an alt tab.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With Norton 360 none of its other options are active until the Fix Now has done its thing.

Thanks
    But the system will still function....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast