New Lounger
    Thanks

Programs will not start up and install using the dvd rom

Insert a program's cd in the rom the programs autorun will not work, went into the cd using win explorer and clicked on the programs setup icon... nothing.

This all started after a complete reinstall of win 7.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Looks like you need drivers for your CD/ROM. Go to Device Manager and see if you have the Yellow caution triangle on the CD/ROM drive.. Then use the options to reinstall the device driver or go to your Manufacture's website and download the appropriate drivers. I'm some what surprised the default Windows drivers don't work though. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-02-28 at 07:12. Reason: Correct spelling thanks Paul T
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I'm sum what surprised

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Fingers not connected to brain!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you saying that Windows can read the disk but the program's .exe doesn't run the program's set up application ?

This is MS Fixit 50475 to enable Autorun and this article should help with Autoplay if you need it as they may be turned off.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick responses,
    I did use device manager, uninstalled the driver, rebooted and let windows reinstall did not help.
    Also used the autorun fixit tool, it said nothing was wrong.
    I thought it might be that particular program because when I clicked on the setup icon in win explorer the program install window came up, but when clicking on the install button nothing.
    So I tried to install a different program... same thing.
    Looks like I might have to do another reformat and win 7 install.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried opening a command prompt, running it as an administrator and entering sfc /scannow to see what that reports - Event Viewer may also have something recorded.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15... took your advice and went to the event viewer... wow what a place!
    ran across "Programs that are currently running on your computer may be interfering with the installation process"
    Did what they said and went to "msconfig" and shut down everything, rebooted and all the programs installed, then turned everything back on.
    Still have the problem somewhere, but oh well.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mynreds View Post
    Sudo15... took your advice and went to the event viewer... wow what a place!
    ran across "Programs that are currently running on your computer may be interfering with the installation process"
    Did what they said and went to "msconfig" and shut down everything, rebooted and all the programs installed, then turned everything back on.
    Still have the problem somewhere, but oh well.
    Thanks
    What you do then is to disable them under the Startup tab again, adding just one back at a time and rebooting until you find the one that's causing the problem and leave that one unchecked.

Depending upon how your Startup menu is made up, you can usually disable all of the programs under the Startup tab, but run StartUpLite to see if you have any unnecessary start up programs that you should leave unchecked. https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you have manually checked autorun is turned on per Sudo15's link? Can you not access any disk with Windows Explorer? and manually setup from there usually by clciking on "Setup"?

Is the drive seen in BIOS?

I assume this problem is with more than one disk?

Coincidentally the drive may have failed on the last install...it works the drive pretty hard on the initial part of the install and they are not exactly durable devices anymore.

Try disconnecting the drive both data and power cables. Boot up. Shut down. Reattach the drive and reboot. Windows should re-detect the device. Does it work now?

I would do another reinstall of Win7 as you indicate if nothing seems to help as it could be some strange setting (from a subsequently downloaded and installed app?) blocking the DVD ROM from working.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-02 at 16:38.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @ FN - From mynred's post #8 it points to a 3rd party program conflict as the programs installed in a clean boot and isn't hardware related at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've come to the conclusion that it was my stupidity for putting too many conflicting programs into the machine, antivirus', old apps, etc.
    Then with windows trying to correct the problems in the background and me trying to help really did a number on it, and nothing seemed to work.
    So I resorted to a complete reformat and clean reinstall, all is well now.
    Thanks for all your help... I may need you in the future. Ed

Thanks
    Sometimes running tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) can solve many things.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I had a similar problem once. It appeared that IDE had gone south on my computer. I tried two IDE CD ROM drives; both of them failed when I tried to upgrade from XP to 7. I then installed a SATA CD ROM drive, and the install proceeded without a hitch.