New Lounger
    Thanks

How to connect laptop to wireless printer on home network BUT to ensure it doesnt get net access

Guyz
    My wife uses her laptop at home for accounts work, she wants to print off on my wireless printer, BUT she does not want ANY internet access to this laptop at all !!

Ive tried setting up a static ip on the laptop but not entering the gateway, that worked it allowed me onto one of our switches around the house, but the printer was showing as offline to the laptop,
    Ive been at this for 9 hours straight, Im not very good at pcs, the laptop is on windows 7, the router is a netgear DGNd 3700
    any advice gratefully received
    best regards
    al

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You shouldn't need to give the laptop an IP address, it will generate one as long as the network is enabled. Then you should be able to press the WPS button on the printer and tell the laptop to connect via WPS.

If that doesn't work you can prevent internet access by setting the router to block external access for that MAC address. The setting is probably in parental control or access control. Now you don't need to use static IPs, but other devices will be able to see the laptop, which may not be what you want.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You shouldn't need to give the laptop an IP address, it will generate one as long as the network is enabled. Then you should be able to press the WPS button on the printer and tell the laptop to connect via WPS.

If that doesn't work you can prevent internet access by setting the router to block external access for that MAC address. The setting is probably in parental control or access control. Now you don't need to use static IPs, but other devices will be able to see the laptop, which may not be what you want.

cheers, Paul
    This only works if you have WPS enabled in your router. Many setups have this feature disabled becuase of a security risk. See:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/176124/wi-f...ld-disable-it/

If this is the case, you need to go through your printers Wi Fi setup routine. check your printer manual.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "she does not want ANY internet access to this laptop at all !!"
    --- This tells me she doesn't connect to your home network at all. Is this true?
    Consider buying an appropriate dedicated printer and direct connect it to the laptop just for the business she needs to conduct on her laptop. This ensures the data is safe & secure