New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista OEM cd reloads.

I have 2 Dell computers, both running Vista Home 32 bit.
    Computer 1 came with the complete disk assortment. Vista home premium 32 bit, software, drivers, etc.
    Computer 2 was given to me, with no disks, but the computer is running. I don't think there is a recovery partition on it.
    Computer 2 is running on the edge and I'm afraid it is going to die.
    My question - can I use computer 1 OS disk to reload computer 2 OS?
    Don

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Don,

As long as you have the Windows KEY for Computer 2 you should be fine. The Key is usually found on a sticker on the machine. You can also use a product like Magic Jelly Bean Finder to extract the key on Computer 2 BEFORE attempting the reinstall.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don, while RG's suggestion to identify your keys is a good practice in general, note the two keys (on the COA sticker and the one exposed by Magic Jelly Bean) will not be the same.

For your edification you may want to read this similar thread. That thread was about Dell's OEM XP, but the salient points are nearly identical to Dells shipped with Vista or Win7. My post in that thread covers why the two keys will be different.

Did computer #2 originally ship from Dell with Vista Home Premium? If the COA sticker on the computer's case shows "Vista Home Premium", then that would be the OS Dell shipped it with. If that's the case, you will have no trouble using a Dell-branded Vista Reinstallation DVD from any Dell computer--desktop or laptop. Dell's Reinstallation DVDs are universal and not tied to one machine or even one model line. The COA sticker is what gives you the legal right to install that OS, not the mere possession of the DVD.

Any Dell-branded Vista Reinstallation DVD will install on any Dell computer with a SLIC 2.0 BIOS (or SLIC 2.1 for a Win7 Reinstallation DVD). If the computer in question came from the factory with Vista, then it assuredly will have a SLIC 2.0 BIOS and you will have no trouble. Dell's Vista will install without prompting you for a key and will not require Microsoft's online activation.

If the computer in question did not originally ship with Vista, then it may not have the requisite BIOS so the Vista DVD may not install and activate, nor would it be legal to do so even if you could.

Dan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you run a chkdsk /r from an admin command prompt to check the status of the HDD on Computer 2 ?

If you go Start - type and enter diskmgmt.msc it will show you if you have a Recovery partition - probably listed as D:

Also if you go to All Programs/Dell folder, it may have the facility to create OEM Recovery disks - that would mean it would have a Recovery partition as that is what copies onto the disks, although this is usually only a one off operation so you may not be able to avail yourself if someone has already created them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista Again?

Try to switch at least to Windows 7 or try Linux Mint instead: it is free and has a lot of Microsoft compatible programs. In addition, it is immune from viruses.