Star Lounger
    Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)
    Thanks

Problem with defragmentation

Hello!

I recently tried to defragment disk, but...

I have less than 15% free space(I have no idea what to delete, and I am not willing to format my disk, because most of installation files I don't have). I tried to defragment the disk, but Defragmenter rapidly eats my free space, so each attempt is unsuccessful.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What I usually do first is open Control Panel, Internet Options and Delete Temporary Internet Files then I put %temp% in the Run box [Windows key + R] and delete everything in the Folder. Most of those files are not needed but there will be a few that can't be deleted, still in use. That should free up sufficient space for the program to run.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

JoeP517 (2015-03-01)

Thanks
    You're going to have to add another HD, whether internal or external, your choice. After making sure new 2nd HD is formatted and ready to go, copy most of your created txts, docs, pics and downloaded EXEs & ZIPs onto your 2nd HD.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    You can use almost any third-party defragmenter (Defraggler, Auslogics Disk Defrag, and so on) which doesn't have the 15% free space requirement, but all defrag programs are likely to take a Long Time (by which I mean hours) when the disk is very full. Run it overnight (assuming your machine doesn't automatically sleep or hibernate!).

Before buying a new hard disk, have a look at what is occupying the space using something like TreeSize Free, and determine whether there is Stuff which can be got rid of (having previously done what Berton suggests).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I have less than 15% free space(I have no idea what to delete, and I am not willing to format my disk, because most of installation files I don't have). I tried to defragment the disk, but Defragmenter rapidly eats my free space, so each attempt is unsuccessful.
    Any idea?
    Thank you.
    Yeah, that a sign telling you your disk is too full, which it really is.
    Pay attention to it and move stuff off the drive. An external drive will do just fine.
    Don't ask what because I have no idea what you have on there.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slaven_savic View Post

I have less than 15% free space(I have no idea what to delete, .... I tried to defragment the disk, but Defragmenter rapidly eats my free space, so each attempt is unsuccessful....
    I cut and pasted an old list of cleanup instructions for XP. I edited it, removed some of the more esoteric and risky stuff and updated some links:

I don't see too many hard drive full problems anymore. I would define it as more than 75% full. I have seen people with up to 99% full and barely able to run! Personally it may mean you need a second drive.

Run CCleaner.
    • Run Cleaner. I would uncheck the cookies box of any browsers you use, but otherwise analyze and run with the defaults.
    • Run the Disk Analyzer in Tools to see where your biggest uses are...it may surprise you or not.
    • While there consider using its ability to uninstall apps you haven't used in years.
    • While there remove unused restore points from System Restore. I'd save just one from about 3 months ago and CCleaner will insist you keep the latest. This can save a tremendous amount on a long used drive. You don't need more unless the system was recently hit with malware.

Run PC Decrapifier and see if there are other apps you don't use (especially if they came with the PC) that you can lose. If you review the list and you are unsure or do not want to delete anything then don't. Kind of nice to see what it finds however. This should be a one time run. I would remove Decrapifier afterwards.

Defrag the page file on the next boot. This is a one time run (run on next boot) and page defrag can be removed after that. It usually results in noticeable performance boot improvement in old XP installations. But updated XP subsequently seemed to keep the page files unfragmented pretty good after that. This Microsoft app is NOT needed on Vista onward as the Windows OS does a very good job now of not fragmenting these files.

Run Windows Error Checking in case there is a bad sector problem slowing/filling the drive.

If the OS has been installed long enough over a prior OS then you can delete a big file called windows.old too that contains the reset back to the old OS (if it was ever created; present in the root directory C:\ ).

This all should have freed up a fair percentage of space on an old installation.

Then defrag the drive using Windows XP's own Defrag. [not on SSDs] Sure there are 3rd party apps, but with one exception (and it isn't free) they all pretty much do the same thing Defrag does and just as fast. This will take a while on that full drive.

Let us know how you started out and what improvements you saw. If you decide to get a bigger drive and need help either installing it as a secondary drive or replacing the present boot drive and you need help with the drive image and transfer let us know and I am sure someone can help you out. If your boot drive is more than 5 years old you should see a noticeable performance gain with a modern drive.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-01 at 15:14.