Lounger
    Thanks

Disc Defrag question

I'm having some issues with a noise emanating from one of my pcs (HP 505B Desktop) so I have done some basic things e.g. check and clean the fans inside the case, run check disc, etc. All seems fine but I'm worried my HD is perhaps going to fail.

Nonetheless, here is my question.

I checked Disc Defrag to see if there was any issue there. It listed my OS and my HP Recovery partition, both 0% fragmented as I run it on a schedule.

BUT, there is also a "System" drive listed and it is 9% fragmented. I don't know what this is as it has never been there before on this or any other of my pcs. I click on it to, for example, analyze but nothing happens. Under "Computer" My C: and Recovery D: partition is listed correctly. There are no flash drives or other drives attached.

Does anybody know what this "System" listed in the Disc Defrag is?

Thank you kindly!

Thanks
    It could either be an EFI partition or a MSR partition, neither of which will have a drive letter assigned. An EFI partition is for a system with UEFI, and that is the boot partition. They are usually quite small, 120MB more or less. An MSR partition is Microsoft System Reserved (or other variations of the name), 40MB to 400MB more or less, and there are various explanations for what it is and/or what it might be used for.

I have an EFI partition, as my system is UEFI, but I don't have an MSR partition. Any fragmentation in either of these partitions should not be an issue, as their use is occasional and/or limited, and they are quite small.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2015-02-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you kindly for the quick and great response.

OK, so this is nothing to worry about, that is good news. I wonder why I never noticed this before? I must really be getting old

So that is not making my HD grind overtime. I will continue on...no malware, no viruses...

Thank you again!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyk View Post
    ...making my HD grind overtime...
    I'm concerned about this HD grinding. Do you mean your HD lite indicates constant nonstop HD reading/writing?
    Or, is there a noise coming from the computer that was not there before? 'Cause my fan is set for maximum, I hear more fan-noise over here.
    However, if recently there is more HD noise than in the past, that might be a beginning of starting of commencing of a problem.
    Do you have a SMART monitor running? If not, find a small utility that will monitor your HD SMART and temperature.
    One thing I did over here to reduce HD "thrashing" was to dial back on scheduled scans, dial back to zero of anti-this/anti-that programs checking every file every time, reduced the number of automated reporting.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    With W7 onwards a clean install will also create a 100MB recovery partition at the start of the drive.

You're best leaving it alone unless you want to dig out your recovery CD's when your PC won't boot to your O/S!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use CrystalDiskInfo to read the SMART values on your disk - I use the Standard portable version w/o ads. If it doesn't look good, run the manufacturers disk diagnostic program.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyk View Post
    ...noise emanating from one of my pcs (HP 505B Desktop)...
    Please describe the noise more specifically, i.e.: is it a "clicking", "grinding", "whirring", or some other kind of noise?

Is the noise constant when the PC is powered on, or does it only happen at certain times?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.