Thread: IE11 on Taskbar

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE11 on Taskbar

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-A running Windows 8.1 with all the latest update. I prefer to use Chrome but I can't get it run satisfactorily, so I am using Internet Explorer 11. It seems to work fine, so I am going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

One small thing that bothers me is that the IE icon on the taskbar shows multiple windows, for each of the tabs that I have open. I would prefer to just have one window shown, so that when I click on it, I go back to where I was, instead of having to look at a screen full of little icons and try to select the one I want. If the mouse strays while trying to move all the way down to the one on the end, they all go away and I have to start over.

This is all done from the desktop, I do not use the tiled interface. Is there a setting that will just show one window, then if I want to change tabs, I can click one when they are all open? Thanks.

Thanks
    What you describe is the normal behavior for the taskbar. If you click on any one of the IE tabs, that tab will open full, but all the other tabs will return to their place as well. Once IE has returned to the desktop, you can click on any of the tabs to bring it into focus; you don't necessarily have to open the tab you want first.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My Firefox has one taskbar icon and multiple tabs. If I open another FF windows I get an additional overlaid taskbar icon.

cheers, Paul

p.s. What doesn't work with Chrome?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Is there a setting that will just show one window, then if I want to change tabs, I can click one when they are all open? Thanks.
    Yes:

Tools (or Control Panel), Internet Options, General, Tabs button, uncheck Show previews for individual tabs in the taskbar* (*Takes effect after you restart your computer)

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

donebb (2015-03-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR, That was exactly what I was looking for. Figured it was simple, just didn't know where to find it. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

PaulT, I love Chrome but continue to have some kind of problem with Flash. Daily, I would get a notice that Shockwave Flash crashed. I have done all the fixes that I was able to find, the main one being sure to only have one version of Flash running. Nothing seemed to help. I decided to try IE and everything works fine. It's a mystery to me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A search for Flash player crashing brings up Chrome as the first selection for me.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-...google-chrome/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/in...google-chrome/

cheers, Paul