Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows 8.1 freezes or slows down unexpectedly.

Toshiba Satellite Laptop---This has been going on for a while----Had similar issues with Windows 8.0---Windows freezes while running programs such as Thunderbird or Firefox, or when returning from sleep or hibernation. I have tried to clean the machine many times without any improvements---I don't know if it has anything to do with addons, such as Shockwave flash. I did a smart scan with Avast and it claimed it found some viruses, which I asked it to clean. I ran antimalware software with similar results---however the problem continues. Need some ideas on how best to attack this problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a Windows 8/8.1 section on list.

I ran antimalware software
    Which program?

How old is the Notebook/Laptop? Is it still in the normal warranty or extended warranty [extra cost]? Could be hardware issues. My wife's Toshiba Satellite 17.3" failed after nearly 5 years use and I just junked a 15.6" version as not cost-effective to repair after 4.5 years service.

Sleep and Hibernation have always been somewhat problematic, I turn them off.

I don't know much about Avast!'s Smart Scan but maybe a Full/Deep scan would help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If consecutive scans with different programs found malware, then give ESET Free Online Scanner a go. http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

Click on Advanced and check all of the boxes except the lower Proxy one - check the box for auto uninstall then disable Avast immediately before clicking on the Scan button.

It will show if it has found anything in running but can take a while depending how much you have installed on your computer.

If the problem continues after the scan, check to see if it still occurs in either Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot ?

Have you also done a memory test (scroll down the page for Win 8/8.1 if you need it).

http://www.7tutorials.com/identify-m...ory-diagnostic

When you said that you've cleaned it, was that the temp file cache ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-01 at 19:10.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is almost 2 years old--I purchased 3 year extended insurance coverage for it that ends in May 2016. As to sleep and hibernation, I may try shutting them off. What kind of hardware issues did you experience, and how can I best test the machine for hardware issues?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethekey View Post
    It is almost 2 years old--I purchased 3 year extended insurance coverage for it that ends in May 2016. As to sleep and hibernation, I may try shutting them off. What kind of hardware issues did you experience, and how can I best test the machine for hardware issues?
    Toshibas have a built in Diagnostics check but I've never had much faith in it because of the speed in which it carries out the tests.

I bought my Toshiba laptop from PCWorld UK and with an extended warranty.

That extended warranty entitles me to a free annual Health Check - does the place where you got yours from have anything like that and have you tried any of my suggestions yet ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-02 at 12:21.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried most everything you mentioned, except shutting down the sleep and hibernate mode---Eset found malware and deleted it. It seems to be running a bit better after that, thanks. I also noted that my backup drive settings were set to continuous backup---I changed that to once a day after midnight. It seems to also have helped speed up windows and reduced the incidence of crashes. I am going to call my extended warrantee carrier help desk and see if they can give me other ideas. I purchased it at Costco.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to see what that reports.

Follow that up with the same command, changing /scanhealth to /restorehealth and see if that improves performance.