New Lounger
    Thanks

How to share Outlook calendar with Android smartphone?

I am using Outlook 2010 as my email, contacts and calendar software.

This is a legacy form pre-retirement when it was necessary to sync my work and home desktop, laptop and cell phone.

I have an IMAP account at home now and I have purchased a Nexus 5 phone running Andriod 5.? operating system. I have managed to sync the email from my personal folders but I can't seem to get the calendar to sync with the IMAP webmail or with the Andriod phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than dropping Outlook and setting up the Gmail account for all? Is Outlook 2013 going to solve this or would I be wasting my pension? :-)

Thanks

Larry

Thanks
    LG PC Suite may fit your needs in synching your calendar with the phone.

You'll probably have to search for it as LG forces me onto it's UK pages

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sync Outlook with PC and Phone

Quote Originally Posted by larb View Post

This is a legacy form pre-retirement when it was necessary to sync my work and home desktop, laptop and cell phone.

I have an IMAP account at home now and I have purchased a Nexus 5 phone running Andriod 5.? operating system. I have managed to sync the email from my personal folders but I can't seem to get the calendar to sync with the IMAP webmail or with the Andriod phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than dropping Outlook and setting up the Gmail account for all? Is Outlook 2013 going to solve this or would I be wasting my pension? :-)

Thanks

Larry

Larry - This is a much needed functionality and I spent a lot of time researching and trying various options. I have been using "CompanionLink" for the last year of so with Outlook 2013. They provide Sync software for many combinations of phones & software. On the phone, the accompanying software is "DejaOffice", which I've found to be very good.

CompanionLink/DejaOffice offer several different methods of connecting - WiFi, USB, USB Direct, Cloud - each has it's strengths, so it may take some experimenting to see what works best for your situation.

I use "WiFi" at home with my main PC and Note Edge. I like it because I don't need to bother with connecting a USB cable and it uses my network. On my Notebook, I connect via USB, because I don't want to use a public WiFi to sync my data - or have to set up the WiFi on both to make the connection.

I'm running an Android, but the same software is available for iPhone.

I don't think Outlook 2010 or 2013 is the issue. Either should work.

Since MS has just released Outlook for Android and Outlook for iPhone, I'm looking at the possibility of Syncing Contacts and Calendar via LiveDrive (Cloud), but I don't yet know if this is workable (for me).

Separately - I use CodeTwo to Sync Outlook between my Desktop & Laptop - works well too.

Lastly, I use SyncToy to Sync/Backup other data files/pics/etc between Desktop/Laptop/External HDD.

If you're gonna have multiple devices, it takes some effort to keep them in Sync, but there are ways to do it, and generally it works pretty well.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I use gSyncit from Fieldstone Software. Excellent piece of software that is an Outlook "addin" (I use Outlook 2013). I had some small reasons to use their support when I first installed it. The TS responses were very fast and helpful.

See http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit4/

So, now Outlook syncs with the gmail calendar and it syncs with the APLus calendar app on my Android cellphone (I prefer APlus to the Google calendar app on the phone).

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by larb View Post

Thanks

Larry

Thanks
    I second gSyncit. Tried several products after Google killed off their sync app, this one worked best for us. Also found gSyncit tech support excellent when I had an early on problem.

Between my wife and I, we're keeping 2 Outlook calendars (mine a 2007 and hers a 2010) on two laptops, two phones, and a desktop with two-way updating everywhere.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try an efficient friendly free sync app - MyPhoneExplorer - at the google play store
    http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am following this thread with interest.

I see that gSyncit says that it syncs Outlook data (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks) with your Google account, from which your Android device then reads it.

I prefer to sync direct between my Outlook and my Android device, without using a Google account. I tried CompanionLink, which does this, without going via Google, rejected it narrowly in favour of Android-Sync, which has done the business for a bit over two years.

Lately, I have cooled on Android-Sync, as they seem no longer to answer tech support requests (repeated), and only to be interested in taking money for new sales. That doesn't do it for me. Also, when you pick through the (mainly sales oriented) website, they give not a clue as to who they are; they are just the people at the other end of your PayPal transaction. That doesn't do it for me either. So, I think they are going to get the heave, and I am back in the market for a new sync program - Outlook direct to Android, no Google man-in-the-middle.

MyPhoneExplorer loaded so much garbage on my machine last time that they do not get a look in. It is said that they have cleaned up their act, but I'm not going there again.

Apart from CompanionLink (with DejaOffice), one other candidate is Akruto.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find there to be an advantage to having Google "in the middle". My cell phone does NOT have an international plan, so when traveling out of the country...I can still use Google on my laptop to check my calendar etc. That "feature" could be useful then for those traveling like I do.

K

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I am following this thread with interest.
    I prefer to sync direct between my Outlook and my Android device, without using a Google account. I tried CompanionLink, which does this, without going via Google, rejected it narrowly in favour of Android-Sync, which has done the business for a bit over two years.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, I saw a problem in what was then the current release (a few days ago) of the 64-bit gSyncit. When this problem happened (well, wasn't really a problem...just something that didn't work correctly when Outlook started)...a popup appears notifying the user of the problem and offers to notify the developers of the problem. Once I clicked "Yes", the developers were notified. I got an email this morning notifying me of the software update with the problem fixed.

Installation of software updates is a no-brainer (although Outlook has to be closed as gSyncit is an Outlook addon and loaded when Outlook starts). This whole process took (from reporting the problem to installing the fixed software) took 3.5 days.

I heartily recommend gSyncit.

Excellent software and excellent support. When I originally installed this software and had a few issues, I often had an email conversation with the developers (Dave is who I "spoke" to) where replies from them were within 30 minutes or so (I only check email every 15 minutes).

Again, excellent software and support.

K

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Apart from CompanionLink (with DejaOffice), one other candidate is Akruto.
    I add my vote for Akruto (www.akruto.com). I've tried a few apps to sync my info with Outlook PC and settled on Akruto because it worked out of the box and worked with my Samsung Galaxy's people and calendar apps (it didn't add more apps to my phone). I also have an iPad and it syncs with Outlook PC too.