Thanks

Help with formatting form field width

I attached a screenshot of a subform as it appears in my main form. The subform has six fields, all of the same width. All but the first field are too wide, but I can't seem to make them narrower, either in the main or subform design view. I also attached a screenshot of the subform in design view and its properties. Any adjustments that I make don't effect the field widths. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What version of Access are you using? In more recent versions it is possible for text boxes to be grouped together so they all have the same width. However, the design view suggests that isn't the case. I believe the issue is that your default view for the subform is set to "DataSheet" which will also cause that issue. If you design your form as a continuous form with text boxes aligned horizontally, that should give the desired result.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Thanks very much! it worked. While I'm on the subject, is there a way to make the secod row of the form either white like the first row or at least make it a shade that's no so dark? I attached a screenshot. Now, the second (and alternating) rows are much too dark. I wouldn't mind making the header a different color, too.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's difficult to tell what is making the dark background without knowing what version of Access you are using.

Some possibilities are conditional formatting, or alternating rows, but there may be other things causing it as well. As to the header, that can be made a different color by simply setting the background color of the header for the subform. And with continuous forms the field names (labels) are typically put in the header so they don't take up as much space (and cause scrolling) - but that usually means they have to be standalone labels rather than being linked to a text box.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Thanks again, Wendell. I'm sorry, I'm running Access 2010. I attached another screenshot. As you'll see the second row is gray and somewhat hard to distinguish. I didn't choose any special formatting. All that I did was to create the form, which now is continuous. I's like alternate rows to contrast, but in a color/shading scheme that's easier on the eyes.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It appears that you have chosen the automatic option on the alternate rows feature. Take a look at Access 2010: Change Alternate Row Color and follow the procedure shown there, even though it is focused on tables. The same concept applies to continuous forms.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Thanks! Worked fine.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT