5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it worth managing fonts in Win7 for better efficiency/speed?

Slow computer: Hewlett-Packard Presario CQ61 Notebook Win7 HP x64
    --- Iím making headway in maintenance items to get it back to faster performance and thatís going well
    --- There werenít any infections and the owner did a good job of keeping the computer safe & secure

Now Iím wondering about minimizing a bunch of fonts
    --- When I use to service XPís I did minimize a bunch of fonts a few times which appeared to help speed up starting up if I recall correctly probably due to the search indexer (?)

On this computer there are 263 installed fonts
    Microsoft Word 2002, Microsoft Works 8.0, 9.0 and Suite 2005 and an Open Office Document are installed on the computer
    --- Can this be the reason there are so many fonts?

Would it make sense to minimize the number of fonts that appear to be needed?
    --- How can I ensure fonts that donít appear to be needed can be brought back in in case some of them will be needed in the future?
    --- I think I had created an additional folder in XP to transfer many fonts into but this is a Win7 computer and Iím not sure if its worth the effort

Iím not interested in installing new fonts. I just suspect that managing the fonts might be helpful in a little faster boot up and better efficiency in the search indexer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think a large number of fonts has much effect on Windows 7 speed like it did on XP. Most of those fonts (235) came with Windows 7 anyway. Foreign fonts should be hidden automatically, and you can manually hide others which will probably not be used. Hidden fonts don't get loaded by programs when they start up, but can easily be unhidden if found to be required later. There are half a dozen or so fonts which shouldn't be deleted as they're used by system dialog boxes etc.

Here's a brief summary: Microsoft Windows 7 & fonts

This article details how to deal with too many fonts in Windows 7 (reset, delete or hide), but it's really talking about more than 1,000 fonts: Windows Problems - Too Many Fonts

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-03-02 at 01:00.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My concern has been addressed and I do not think its worth managing the fonts per my request. The 263 installed fonts are certainly are certainly not n issue and the links provided have excellent explanations that make sense (thanks again BruceR) So I am marking this thread as solved