Thanks

Merging Multiple File folders contents into one folders containing those contents

Is there a shortcut where i can select multiple file folders(They are in a mass library containing many of the same file types with other file folders) and merge the contents of the selected file folders and take the contents of the selected file folders and move them into a separate file folder.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think we need more detail about how you want to merge the files.
    Can you post an example?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xbnrxout View Post
    Is there a shortcut where i can select multiple file folders(They are in a mass library containing many of the same file types with other file folders) and merge the contents of the selected file folders and take the contents of the selected file folders and move them into a separate file folder.
    Allow me to address that in two parts:
    Is there a shortcut where i can select multiple file folders(They are in a mass library containing many of the same file types with other file folders) and merge the contents of the selected file folders
    The only way such a merge would work is if the folders all had the same name. Windows would warn that there is an existing folder of the same name, and ask if you wish to merge the contents of the folders. If there were also files with the same name, Windows would ask which file you would like to keep, or if you would like to keep both files (Windows would append a number to the name of the newest file). If the folders all have different names, then you will have to select the contents of each folder individually. Otherwise, all the folders will become subfolders of the target folder, and retain their names.

take the contents of the selected file folders and move them into a separate file folder
    This can be done with drag and drop by selecting all the contents of a folder, right-click and hold, then drag to the target folder. Release the right mouse button there and then select "Move here".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Allow me to address that in two parts:

The only way such a merge would work is if the folders all had the same name. Windows would warn that there is an existing folder of the same name, and ask if you wish to merge the contents of the folders. If there were also files with the same name, Windows would ask which file you would like to keep, or if you would like to keep both files (Windows would append a number to the name of the newest file). If the folders all have different names, then you will have to select the contents of each folder individually. Otherwise, all the folders will become subfolders of the target folder, and retain their names.

This can be done with drag and drop by selecting all the contents of a folder, right-click and hold, then drag to the target folder. Release the right mouse button there and then select "Move here".
    The question is how to do this in a heap of folders in one step. ie Select 40 folders and copy all files in the selected folders to one folder. I've also wanted this functionality in Explorer for decades, since Windows 3.1.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    The question is how to do this in a heap of folders in one step. ie Select 40 folders and copy all files in the selected folders to one folder. I've also wanted this functionality in Explorer for decades, since Windows 3.1.
    I know of no way to do this with a group of folders, either in Windows or using any third party tool.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Not since the days of DOS-based PC Tools 5.5 and later 7.1 have I seen great file-mgt!
    If I understand correctly, there is no known 3rd party utility that will not also copy the folders [and the intended files] into said one folder. One can open a separate explorer.exe into every original folder and "move" or copy said files into the one target folder, then either keep or delete the source folder. I've had multible explorer.exe sessions open at one time, however, beware! one can "dork" up explorer OPs by too many things going on at the same time. The target folder window can implode if things go wrong.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Depending on exactly what you mean ZTreeWin should be able to do this. Its a 32 Bit shareware clone of Xtree
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Folder Merger is a portable freeware for Windows that allows you to merge separate folders or subfolders together and bring the content from all of them into a single folder.
    An app like Folder Merger can have lots of usage scenarios. For instance, should you require to move your MP3 collection from your PC to your smartphone or portable media player, and don’t want any folders to come along, Folder Merger can prove to be a big time saver. Moreover, it can also come in handy to backup multiple files scattered across different directories all into one large folder.This software will help you in merging multiple folders.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-07-28 at 05:13. Reason: Removed Link URL