Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No Bios Access Screen - POST screen ok, Win7 Boots ok, works ok

ISSUE: BIOS uses the Delete key for access, when pressed during post 'Prepare to enter setup' text displayed as usual, then black screen with blinking _ (underscore) icon.

System:
    Award bios
    win 7 ultimate 64bit
    16G DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury (2@*G)
    amd athlon 6 core
    Gigabyte MB (with default settings)

History:
    GEForce PNY graphics card had memory issues, causing kernel issue reboots. Replaced GPU with Sapphire Radeon R7 250. Worked great, except drivers would not install.

Doing cold start up or a restart, post screen displays normally and windows boots normally and functions normally, no issues.

Troubleshooting this issue revealed issues with the windows basic VGA adapter. Yellow triangle warning icon in device manager. This was not displayed in the 'Display Adapters' section - there was NO 'Display Adapters' section. Was in it's own section lower down the list.

Scanned with Malware Bytes and Kaspersky - found nothing.

Reinstalled Windows. Successfully installed GPU drivers. All systems working fine.

EXCEPT, still cannot access the BIOS. Have always been able access BIOS options such as boot sequence (f12) such as boot from CD first, but now does not update boot sequence.

While waiting for a reply, especially one that will resolve this head-banger, I'm going to try once again to plug the monitor into the onboard adapter. This did not work prior to, and after, reinstalling windows. I am not optimistic.

Thanks for thinking about it,

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I normally try the BIOS reset jumper to fix that sort of problem.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

submarinermm1 (2015-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, but that is how everything got set back to the default settings. One of the things I tried before reinstalling Windows. That said, may not hurt to try it again. Will update with the results.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BIOS reset did nothing.

Using onboard GPU resulted in black screen for everything: no post, no windows GUI\logon screens - nothing. Switched back to Radeon GPU all but the BIOS access screen. This is the same as before I reinstalled windows (and part of the reason I reinstalled.)

The reinstall did fix all of the video driver issues: the basic windows VGA and the Radeon driver install.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sub, hello.
    Do not look at anything but the basic in this problem, the OS has nothing to do with the BIOS, this comes on normally on its own, lots of time before it passes the authority to the HD. The same thinking goes for the hardware, it is not yet involved in the booting. The BIOS is on a small CMOS chip on the board. When you reset it using the jumper from 2+1 to 2+3 it will go into its own guts and reset to a BASIC BIOS. You can reset the BIOS even without a HD in the machine, it is on its own, mind you it will not detect what is missing, you knew that. You did find the proper jumper ???

Now, this being said, if you reset it by its jumper and it is defective, the only solution is to go on the site of the manufacturer of your putor and D/L a new BIOS programme.exe and flash the CMOS again. It is being done routinely, do read all the instructions. It used to be that the machine had to be in DOS-like state but now most BIOS can be flashed in Windows, much easier and less cumbersome. Have at it ! Be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-03-03 at 09:34. Reason: typo lost -> lots

7. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean,

Thank you for confirming what I expected I needed to do. Contacted Gigabyte later this afternoon as to there thoughts - they have none so far. I have the file to flash with, so tomorrow morning (love being retired), will flash the MB (and hopefully not the neighbors) and this most unusual event (1st time for me) will be over.

And, yes did find the correct jumper, well labeled and set off by itself.

Thanks y'all

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Flashed the BIOS using the gigabyte app @BIOS, twice, once directly downloading a file from the GB web site and once pointing to the same file on my hard drive. Still cannot access bios setup, same black screen with the blinking icon in the upper left corner.

I am assuming from the lack of responses as to a fix, that a new MB is my only option. As I have no reply to my gigabyte customer support request, any suggestions on a new MB vendor other than GB?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Had a Gigabyte, was a bit flaky at boot but ran fine - needed a couple of re-boots, or three, to get is running.
    Now using an MSI and it's really nice - although it may be the faster CPU and more RAM.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sub, hello.
    Did you try holding the Escp key before you hit the ON switch ? I have here a laptop, Toshiba, that needs this. JUst a thought. Jean.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello submarinermm1
    You did not say what GB board you have so what I say may not apply, but my GB MB has a dual bios. Look at you docs to see if you can boot to an alt bios. My newish GB MB has an onboard switch. Q flash is the firmware flash utility that on my older GB can be reached via the [end] key. A usb or floppy disk maybe required w/ bios file in root directory.
    Good Luck
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-09),submarinermm1 (2015-03-07)

Thanks
    Ps I would never recommend windows based flash, just another layer of potential problems. Especially since you already have a Bios problem. You could also remove any non essential hardware, HDD ....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try hitting different keys when you power on. For example, go down the row of function keys, and hit them all. I'll bet you get to BIOS with a different key than what you have been hitting.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone, thanks for the suggestions.

Paul, Everything is fine, no issues booting, windows runs fine. Just cannot access the bios setup screen. Will add MSI to my MB eval list.

Jean, Will try it but seems to be a long shot, bios has worked great for over 3 years. Have no idea when it happened, noticed it a couple of weeks ago when I tried to set the clock speed on my new memory to 1600 and got the Black Death Screen. Been months since I lasted went into setup before that.

David, single bios on a 880gm-ud2h MB. Tried Q-Flash first, alas floppy disk only (have not had a FD in...wow - almost 10 years now. And has no usb option! At this point figured I had nothing to lose using the windows option. Although can't be sure it worked, the version number did not update but that may not mean anything. As Jean (handcuff36) pointed out, the bios\cmos does not need any extras, although going to clutch at all the straws y'all send my way.

mrjim, gigabyte says the delete key is the one to press and when pressed the text on the post screen changes from 'press the del key to 'Prepare to enter setup', so the message is being received and the bios does something by going to the black screen, just doesn't load the display screen.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by submarinermm1 View Post
    ...mrjim, gigabyte says the delete key is the one to press and when pressed the text on the post screen changes from 'press the del key to 'Prepare to enter setup', so the message is being received and the bios does something by going to the black screen, just doesn't load the display screen...
    See How To Perform a BIOS or CMOS Reset
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As that board has on-board graphics, try removing the graphics card and run from the on-board - for BIOS setup only.

cheers, Paul

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast