PatriciaWilliams

Speaking of Nulls

[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]
    Usually I use the "isnull()" function in my VBA code to find out if something is null, but I slipped up and used the following construct: "if (expression) = Null then". I went into debug mode to see why I kept getting null errors, when I thought I had put in that preventative step. The code stepped right on through the line without twinging, but was also not evaluating (what I thought I had asked it to do!). I often use the "if (expression) = 5 then " construct, but it appears that the "=" does not work with the Null. It perhaps could have worked fine with "if (expression) IS Null then ".
    Is there any definitave literature out there saying if/when isnull() is better than (something) IS Null, and/or why the "=" construct won't work for Null?
    thx
    Pat

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Speaking of Nulls

Hi Patricia,

A Null value is indicating that the data is missing. In that case there is no data!
    That is the reason you cannot use the = sign.
    You can use if (expression) IS Null or the function IsNull(). I never noticed any difference in using them. Using the function gives you in most cases a better readability of your code.

PatriciaWilliams

> A Null value is indicating that the data is missing. In that case there is no data!
    > That is the reason you cannot use the = sign.

.......... That makes _too_ much sense! <gg>

> I never noticed any difference in using them. Using the function gives you in most cases a better readability of your code.

......... I usually use the function, but in this case, I guess what caused me to go off-track was that I had quite a large expression on the left, and I didn't want to add another element by surrounding it with an isnull(). I agree with you that it is usually very readible to use the isnull() function.

........... Thanks for your response!

Pat

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Any comparison with a null on one side will always return a false because you can't compare something to nothing![img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Charlotte