Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for website building?

A friend wants to have a website for his business. I told him about HostGater.com, but I am not sure he has the time or expertize to pull it together. I tried contacting our local PC club, but they do not seen to have a SIG in site development.

Any suggestions, who he should be looking for to pay for a site build. Not a lot of money available, but within reason could be handled. Would not be a complex one, but simple product, purchase, and ship with minimum changes.

I am concerned about sending him to CraigsList or similar because of all the scams out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    He might check with his ISP/Internet Service Provider, may be able to provide for his needs. To start it works best to have a Domain name, usually something that will identify his company or in the case of family oriented use maybe a last name. It would look like www.mydomain.com but there's several other types of domains such as .org for organizations, .gov for government entities, .edu for scholastic needs, etc. Once a Domain is established one would need a Hosting service. Some ISPs can provide both, some folks like Godaddy but there's many others. For creating pages there's a lot of choices ranging from the simple Notepad for plain HTML/Hyper Text Markup Language to some quite fancy programs, I use the free Microsoft Expression Web to replace Microsoft FrontPage which my Domain Hosting no longer supports.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36179
    If editing/creating pages himself he'll need an FTP/File Transfer Protocol program to move files to the site, I use Globalscape's CuteFTP but again, there's others and some free.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-03-02 at 18:13.

Thanks
    A lot of sites are now done using Wordpress or Joomla. They may be possibilities.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    simple product, purchase, and ship with minimum changes
    Unfortunately that's not a simple site. First you need a database to contain all the data, then you need a login manager, a payment / CC section, mail, and it all has to be secure - basically you need an ecommerce site, like ebay.
    There are pre-built shopping apps - see this older list.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd echo Paul T in saying it's not a simple site. From what I've heard SquareSpace might do what he requires with little or no knowledge of coding. With the low bar to access comes a higher price though. I've not used it myself though so I can't recommend without reservations.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the uninitiated, especially those with limited funds, every site looks simple. Hey, how hard can it be?

A one page site can be simple, but won't satisfy for long.

I suggest outfits like Wordpress. They have templates. All you have to do is upload text and picture content. They are usually very reasonably priced and easy to use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you one and all.
    I will pass on your wisdom to my friend.
    Richard Spring

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Thank you one and all.
    I will pass on your wisdom to my friend.
    I built my own site, after first getting domain name(s), I have two, one parked, using a free open source site builder called NVU. Then selected a hosting company, Bluehost is mine - though I do have a WordPress blog on my site at that time they didn't offer site building but do now - and then uploaded my site to Bluehost and it has been humming away merrily since 2007. What I liked about NVU is that you could write in plain English in one window and toggle back and forth to the code it generated. I did need to teach myself HTML to make that work, and there are many ways to do that now, but then I used W3 schools online tutorials to learn it. They have classes for everything now and I still go back from time to time to play with new things, but putting a site together does require one to learn a bit about how that works unless you use a place with preformed templates like WordPress offers now and others.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1 & 1 dot com

plenty of tools and help
    fair prices
    big and been around a long time

Thanks
    For getting the search engines to properly and cheerfully list your web site...

The below is from a 1996-8 html file, of my web site long long ago. The below benefited search engine spider-bots of long ago, are they still around? Would short title; meta name, meta description, meta name keywords contents still work for web sites today? SHORT titles - 'cause long titles roll off to the right, and many do not like such in their bookmarks.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD html 3.2//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <TITLE>able college library system</TITLE>
    <meta name="description" content="able college Library System,
    libraries: Christendom theology, philosophy & religion,
    English Literature, Sciences, children/teen writings.">
    <meta name="keywords" content="able college,
    Lewis Library, English Literature Library, ablecollege, TheStollers">
    <meta name="target" content="Lewis Library,
    English Literature library">
    <meta http-equiv="Reply-to" content="stollerusa;AT;earthlink.net">
    <meta name="Generator" content="Jerry-Roland USA">
    <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="1440;URL=library1.htm">

he above is old school, however, if search engine spider bots still exist, having some of the above, whatever fits, will help in bots' indexing and the listing of your web site.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-03-15 at 01:22.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More good wisdow, that I will pass along.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was wisdom
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    RSpring -- that wisdom I got from many sources! Nothing came from within me at all
    I simply borrowed from the best, added a little OCD, and got results. In fact, during 1996-8, I had simply htmls that listed a breakout of each NASA space or research center, and the search engine at the time listed my htmls right above NASA's own same name htmls
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    For getting the search engines to properly and cheerfully list your web site...

The below is from a 1996-8 html file, of my web site long long ago. The below benefited search engine spider-bots of long ago, are they still around? Would short title; meta name, meta description, meta name keywords contents still work for web sites today? SHORT titles - 'cause long titles roll off to the right, and many do not like such in their bookmarks.

he above is old school, however, if search engine spider bots still exist, having some of the above, whatever fits, will help in bots' indexing and the listing of your web site.
    Unfortunately this wouldn't work nowadays. Google (and presumably others) change their algorithms quite frequently so trying to keep up with these is fraught. A one time it used text near the top of the page, or how many links a website had to it from other websites.

See e.g. https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/35291?hl=en or search Google et al for search engine optimisation

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    I built my own site, after first getting domain name(s), I have two, one parked, using a free open source site builder called NVU. Then selected a hosting company, Bluehost is mine - though I do have a WordPress blog on my site at that time they didn't offer site building but do now - and then uploaded my site to Bluehost and it has been humming away merrily since 2007. What I liked about NVU is that you could write in plain English in one window and toggle back and forth to the code it generated. I did need to teach myself HTML to make that work, and there are many ways to do that now, but then I used W3 schools online tutorials to learn it. They have classes for everything now and I still go back from time to time to play with new things, but putting a site together does require one to learn a bit about how that works unless you use a place with preformed templates like WordPress offers now and others.
    Gene J - it's interesting that you use NVU, still available though not developed further since September 2006. Kompozer is a derivative of NVU, though development of this has also slowed, with no updates since mid 2011.

Two free HTML editors that I use, both actively supported, are Aptana Studio and Notepad ++. I keep a Firefox window open to see the current form of my page, and refresh it to see the effect of my edits.

You don't have to pay a cent to create and edit HTML code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast