5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 on two machines: how to separate them?

I have Win 8.1 on two computers - a desktop and a laptop. For some reason unknown to me, the password and the home screen layouts are very similar. If I move the taskbar on one, it is reflected in the other, Why do I have the same password on both machines? How can I separate the two machines so that they operate independently of each other. I hope I am making myself clear. Right now the two machines operate as if they were connected to each other (we often say people are connected at the hip), well these two behave some what similar. A behaviour that never happened when the old desktop was running under Win 7. Any insight or assistance that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    I would expect to see that behaviour if you are using the same Microsoft account to login to both PC's.

This gives an overview of local & Microsoft accounts.

If you want to change this behavior you would need to set one (or both) to use a local account but bear in mind the caveats from my first link.

Change account to local
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-03-02 at 19:06. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    You don't have to go to a local account.
    See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-settings-pcs
    for instructions on controlling which settings are synched of different computers using the same Microsoft account.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I would expect to see that behaviour if you are using the same Microsoft account to login to both PC's.

This gives an overview of local & Microsoft accounts.

If you want to change this behavior you would need to set one (or both) to use a local account but bear in mind the caveats from my first link.

Change account to local
    Browni, thanks for the explanation and the URL. I had a sneaky feeling that it was something like this - Microsoft wants to run the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You don't have to go to a local account.
    See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-settings-pcs
    for instructions on controlling which settings are synched of different computers using the same Microsoft account.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry. I appreciate the reference to the URL, showing that there is more than on way to get this done.

WesternGuy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    If you want to change this behavior you would need to set one (or both) to use a local account but bear in mind the caveats from my first link
    What caveats? Not having the wallpaper the same on both computers?

From the MS article.
    "you'll also be interested to know that even some of the apps that come bundled with the operating system won't work unless you are using a Microsoft account"
    More like "you'll be really annoyed that we put these apps on the Desktop but won't let you use them"

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    FWIW, I don't use a Microsoft Account on either my desktop or my laptop that are running Windows 8.1. I installed Windows 8 on each machine using a local account. I have user accounts on each that are the same Microsoft account, but have only used the MS account to upgrade to 8.1. I don't use Apps on my PC's, and I don't want to sync my machines, so I'm not missing a thing.

In order to become a "Microsoft Insider" and get the Windows 10 Technical Preview, I setup a "throw away" account at Outlook.com, and installed Windows 10 on a VM on my desktop. I don't use those Apps, either.

YMMV
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What caveats? Not having the wallpaper the same on both computers?

From the MS article.
    "you'll also be interested to know that even some of the apps that come bundled with the operating system won't work unless you are using a Microsoft account"
    More like "you'll be really annoyed that we put these apps on the Desktop but won't let you use them"

cheers, Paul
    You don't need to log in with a Microsoft Account to use Metro/Modern/Universal apps. You do need a Microsoft Account that they may ask for. I used a local account for a long time and had no problem running apps.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't get mine to do anything except flash briefly then close - those I've tried anyway.
    I also dislike the default weather application - I did not ask it to send my information to a site I don't know, but there it is, local weather on my PC.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't think this MS trying to control the world. It is a way of using your desktop at home and seeing the same desktop on a laptop (when you travel with the laptop).

Regards,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Browni, thanks for the explanation and the URL. I had a sneaky feeling that it was something like this - Microsoft wants to run the world.