Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista recovery errors

I have a Gateway Dx43003 running Windows Vista Home Premium. Due to a power supply issue I have not used it for about 6 months. Power supply issue has been resolved. Since I had backed up all my files previously I decided to do a factory reset using my the recovery discs I created when I got the unit. I inserted the first disc with no issue, following the prompt I inserted 2nd disc, walked away while waiting for prompt for 3rd disc. When I came back to check there was a black screen but the disc had ejected just like the first. I inseted the 3rd disc thinking it would continue with no such luck. Screen stayed black for hours. Decided to shut down and restart. Restarted, went to Gateway splash screen, to microsoft working screen, then to black screen with no change. I decided to reboot to safe mode. Safe mode screen came up as normal. It went to the " install backgroud with windows installing" message, then it showed the error " windows cannot complete in safemode. to continue installing windows, restart computer".Decided to try safemode restart again, but select "restart windows normally".This time I got "Windows install background again with windows is installing" message, then error box popped up with " the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an enexpected error. windows installation cannot proceed. to install windows, click "ok" to restart the computer, then restart the installation". No matter what I do or how I do it I keep getting the same error messages, even alternating trying all 3 discs again. I also tried to restart to "last know working" version with now luck.I have also made sure that it was booting from my cd drive.HELP! Any ideas on what I can do to sovlve this problem?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think you need to start the installation from scratch by booting off disk 1. A failed installation is never likely to run properly, even in safe mode.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's possible that the disk is damaged.

Does the computer not have a Recovery partition that you can access through the Advanced Boot options/Repair your Computer ?

It's possible that a clean or a repair install could get you back in to try the factory reset again but you would need a product key as the COA sticker one may not work for a SP2 install disk.

If you don't have an install disk, this link will get you a Vista HP x86 SP2 ISO and either ImgBurn or the Windows USB/DVD burner tool will create the bootable disk.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1bj...T2M/edit?pli=1

There's a generic Gateway Vista Home Premium key in this article but doesn't say if it's a 32 or 64 bit - that is if Vista HP had a 64 bit version - it's also not guaranteed to work so you could be stuck in the middle unless Vista also has a 30 day free trial.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...52790938064690

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try holding the Alt key and F10 key down at the same time while booting. (what Sudo15 was eluding to to access yur recovery partition. If it works follow the prompts.
    -----------------
    Is this Gateway recovery disk Vista, Vista w/SP1 or Vista with SP2?

The Vista without service packs (SP) was wonky as heck and you may be encountering an error if this is the disk you are using.

Did you add anything or remove any hardware since the purchase?

I do not suppose you can borrow or have a Vista Upgrade/retail disk? All Vista disks covered all flavors (Home, Business and Ultra; though I think x86 and x64 were separate). Particularly if it has SP1/SP2 preinstalled. If it is pre-SP Vista I would have you slipstream SP1 and SP2 into it probably with vlite. You would use the product key found on the label on your desktop case to activate. Vista was unique in that a number of major mfg. included the Vista OS disk without restore their own brand. But if it was a 3 disk set then that is not the issue. It did instruct you to put the 2nd disk in didn't it? I could see one disk being x86 and the other x64, or on the OS, the next the drivers, and a third included apps.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-03 at 18:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still no luck in recovering. Although I have gotten further in the install. It actually gives me confirmation that install is complete, but It gives an error (device installer error
    windows could not load the installer for {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. contact your hardware vendor for assistance) then shuts down pc. Investigation shows this is what the error covers (
    Display AdaptersClass = DisplayClassGuid = {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    This class includes video adapters. Drivers for this class include display drivers and video miniport drivers).Anyone have any suggestions on fixing this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the boot drive set to AHCI or IDE emulation in BIOS?

Again, did you add anything or remove any hardware since the purchase? Particularly a video card? If so, remove it and install on onboard video.

If it is just onboard GPU or you swapped GPU cards and the original one that came with the PC is no longer available then again, you need a copy of Vista preferably with SP2 (or at least SP1) built in. Or use vlite to slipstream SP1 and SP2 into Vista.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-10 at 10:57.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Will it boot up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

I can't find your model number on http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/conte...vers-downloads and the DX4300 only lists VGA drivers with one for AMD and the other for Nvidia.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have made no hardware changes to the p.c. All o.e.m. I have started over many times with no luck. P.C. worked fine before I started the restore to factory attempt. Will not let me boot into safe mode at all. The model I listed is correct. It says it's ACHI. I also bought EASYRE and here are the last few screen shots before it shuts down.20150310_120054[1].jpg20150310_120017[1].jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And yet it says device ready.

Wonder if it would be worth seeing how much a set of Gateway OEM disks for the model would cost and be available ?

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/contactus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW: AMD 780G chipset assuming it didn't come with a graphics card.

Sudo15 inspired me to look it up:

http://us-store.gateway.com/product....id=102&catid=5

$20 if still available (and hopefully has at least SP1 included)

enter the serial number or SNID located on your Gateway product to find out

----------------------

https://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/...covery%20vista

https://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/...covery%20vista
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-10 at 14:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15 so much for your help. I downloaded the img file from google link but after I burned it and tried it I got an error saying BOOTMGR is missing. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by lbprager; 2015-03-10 at 16:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fascist Nation....I tried to buy the discs from Gateway, no longer available. As for the recovery outside of windows it did not work, it was the same as with the disc I have.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fascist Nation
    I just saw your posts about the vista sp1 having issues, Not sure which sp version I have. My system is x86, nobody I know still uses or has their discs. Don't know what you meant about slipstreaming. I appreciate ev1's help here very much. This is driving me crazy because there isn't a valid reason this is occurring.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fascist Nation when I use the alt/f10 method it tells me it is successful and tells me to reboot. This is when I get this error (device installer error
    windows could not load the installer for {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. contact your hardware vendor for assistance). At a loss how to deal with it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found all of the driver zips for everything from Gateway. Does anyone know if this will be of help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast