Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Nondestructive reinstall says not enough free space on partition D?

I'm doing Fred's nondestructive reinstall on my Win7 desktop. Initially it stopped saying not enough free space on C: drive (SSD). Cleared some space, ran again and I get message "Not enough free space on partition D". It needs 15MB. I don't understand this as I have C: (120GB SSD), E: DVD, F: & G: both 2TB drives. What is partition D:?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You mention you have C, E, F & G. This implies that you have a D: but it is MIA. Fire up Disk Management and look for a partition just after C:. You can post a screen shot if that helps.
    To run Disk Managment, Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

BarcodeBob (2015-03-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You mention you have C, E, F & G. This implies that you have a D: but it is MIA. Fire up Disk Management and look for a partition just after C:. You can post a screen shot if that helps.
    To run Disk Managment, Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the reply Paul. diskmngt shows no mention of D:
    ScreenHunter_39.jpg

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post that again showing Disk 0?

It looks to be OK so maybe Windows is assuming you have a disk where none exists, thus the error.
    Did you remove a disk at some time? With the DVD as E: the implication is your machine started life with C, D and a DVD.
    You could change the drive letters so you have contiguous disks and see if Windows likes that.

As an aside, why is F: a logical drive when G: isn't?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure about F: and G:. G: is just used for backups.

How do I change the drive letters? And if I do is there anything else I need to change?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcodeBob View Post
    "Not enough free space on partition D". It needs 15MB.
    Your Disk Management screenshot shows System Reserved (this is the MSR partition) at 25MB. This partition is usually 40MB. Your 25MB plus the 15MB equals 40MB.

Disk Management can't expand that partition. It would take a third party partitioning tool to resize it, which would involve taking 15MB from the OS partition, moving that 15MB of unallocated space to make a gap between the MSR partition and the OS partition, then expanding the MSR partition into that gap of unallocated space.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

BarcodeBob (2015-03-03)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do I change the drive letters?
    If bbearren is right you won't need to do that. Fingers crossed. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard.
    First you need to check if any storage areas have been moved to the disk you want to change. This could be "My Documents" or other "My" areas.
    Open Windows Explorer and right click on each of the Documents, Music etc.
    Select Properties.
    The path will show where the files are located.
    You will need to change the location of the files after changing the drive letter - use the "Find Target" button.
    How to move files.

To change drive letters.
    In Disk Management, right click on one of the disks in the top pane and select Change Drive Letter.

Backup everything first, of course.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-03-03 at 16:32.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

BarcodeBob (2015-03-03)

Thanks
    Sorry to interject.
    Your Disk Management screenshot shows System Reserved (this is the MSR partition)
    My newly installed UEFI install of W7HP does not show a MSR even though it exists, my old install on MBR does not show it either on the same GPT disk. What is going on?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your help fellas. I got Minitool Partition Wizard and increased the size of the System Reserved partition, ran the reinstall again and everything worked perfectly. Very happy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Sorry to interject.

My newly installed UEFI install of W7HP does not show a MSR even though it exists, my old install on MBR does not show it either on the same GPT disk. What is going on?
    The MSR partition is quite often a hidden partition, and Windows Disk Management cannot see it. If you open an elevated Command Prompt, then open Dispart, you will be able to see it using the List Volume command, and you'll see its "hidden" attribute as well.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks very much for your help fellas. I got Minitool Partition Wizard and increased the size of the System Reserved partition, ran the reinstall again and everything worked perfectly. Very happy
    Glad it worked out, and thanks for posting your results for us.

Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Elephant stamp for bbearren!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    and you'll see its "hidden" attribute as well.
    I was just looking there and missed that.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    In the List Volume view of Diskpart the far right column is the attributes column. Hidden volumes/partitions will have "hidden" in that column.

Did you see the partition?

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @bbearen fyi the system reserved partition has always been 100MB on my PC and others which I have built.

Screenshot (15).png
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-03-04 at 20:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast