New Lounger
    Thanks

Financial sites not opening in IE 9

Iím noticing that IE9 on my Vista machines (an HP from 2003 and a custom built machine from 2009) will not open many websites especially those have anything to do with
    banking especially the ones in My Favorites.

If I type the name of the bank, it will open up but as soon as I try to go to a sign in page - it cannot display the page.

This had occurred on my custom machine first. I had a repair person attempt Combo Fix on my custom machine and he found a folder %APPDATA% that he could not remove.
    He thought maybe a virus had gotten into the "root" thereby preventing any removal of it from "the System". Excuse my terminology, I am not a tech repair person.

Today I opened my older (HP) machine and it is doing the same thing in IE9. These machine get very little usage.

I do not seem to have these problems when using Google Chrome.

Does anyone have any thoughts or possible solutions to this? Is there a stronger program than Combo Fix?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should not be attempting to remove %appdata%. This is where all your application config files live and removing it will break things - including Chrome which is often installed there. (Get a new repair person.)

Bank sites IME can be problematic and as the problem occurs on both IE9 machines it's likely the issue is IE9. The work around may be to load Chrome.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2015-07-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried resetting IE9 to defaults?
    Have you tried running IE with addons disabled?

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2015-03-05)

Thanks
    Also, it's possible that security, anti-this, anti-that, program[s] may be too assertively set.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be a Cookies issue as some bank sites don't work unless you have cookies enabled for their site, but it could also be an ActiveX issue http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-turn-off.html

Can't remember now if this is the same for cookies in IE 9 as it is in IE 10 but go Tools cog - Internet options - Privacy - Sites - insert the domain name of your bank and click on Allow.

If this doesn't do it then I would advise you to contact your bank and report the problem.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-04 at 20:06.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The reality is that IE9 is outdated, and many websites, not just financial ones, do not load on IE9. If you have a Vista machine you cant upgrade to IE11. So your choice is to use IE9 when you can, and if not use Google Chrome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffreyF For This Useful Post: